• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any chance of a price drop on C2D?

Associate
As the title say's I was wondering if we are likely to see C2D drop in price between now and Christmas. Not looking to move to i7 or i5.

Especially thinking of Q9550 or either E8400, E8500 or E8600

I would almost certainly say so, but when and by how much who knows.

The US are in a lot of deep **** with money, so hopefully the $ will drop off a bit so components become as nicely priced as they were a year ago!

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd love to be able to pick up a q6600 or higher for a reasonable price, even second hand. The depreciation on my C2D is shocking, was about the same price as the q6600 at the time, now worth just over half as much! Should have got the quad! Only reason I went for dual was that it had higher clockspeed, so better gaming performance, but this wasn't the case as it only clocks to 3GHz since it's a poor chip! Most of the half decent q6600's go to 3.6!

/rant

Caporegime
I'd love to be able to pick up a q6600 or higher for a reasonable price, even second hand. The depreciation on my C2D is shocking, was about the same price as the q6600 at the time, now worth just over half as much! Should have got the quad! Only reason I went for dual was that it had higher clockspeed, so better gaming performance, but this wasn't the case as it only clocks to 3GHz since it's a poor chip! Most of the half decent q6600's go to 3.6!

/rant
If you were gonna get a q6600, youd be better off looking for a proven overclocker from the MM, as the recent models arent great clockers, some struggle to go much over 3.4ghz often needing high voltage for that.

Soldato
Yeah, there was one today, would have had it but sold in about 5 mins! I don't have the time to sit and check, and nobody seems to bother with answering wanted threads on that type of thing, certainly not for a decent price anyway.

Caporegime
I'm keeping an eye out for a cheap q9650, want to have a play with x9 instead of x8.5

Hard to justify 300 quid for that :(

Know what you mean. Fortunately i managed to nab one for £225 which i thought was a pretty good deal. Didnt seem worth it at £270+

Associate
ive been on my Q6600 for a while now and i dont see any need for an upgrade.
with this clocked over 3GHz the bottleneck in my system is the hard drives
next big upgrade for me will be going to SSDs, i want these to come down in price sooo bad! not bothered about CPU!

Associate
C2D would definitely drop in price even more (even thought they're dirt cheap even now.)
But what fraustrates me is the Core 2 Quad's... their prices actually increased :(

Soldato
But what fraustrates me is the Core 2 Quad's... their prices actually increased

What? All cpus had a slight price increase due to the weak £, are you talking about the Q6600 specifically? If so it is becuase it is end of life and no longer available through distribution, if you want this old CPU I would just buy one second hand.

I would not expect and massive price recuctions on C2D/C2Q, i5 will just be phased in at exisiting price points.

Back
Top Bottom