Any cheap 19" rack mounted NAS enclosures?

Do you have space for that chassis? 400mm (probably nearer 500mm to allow room for rear connections) must be cutting things close.

Found one 350mm deep 2U rackmount case

dsc_0182_1.jpg

dsc_0186_1.jpg

dsc_0188_1.jpg

If you could find room for it, a HP Microserver G7 would make more sense. Now that there's a new cashback offer they're only about £130.

Can I whack windows 8.1 on it?

Is it USB 3?

My idea is that I whack windows 8.1 on something...Install Stablebit Drivepool and enable duplication.

The Acer Aspire XC-105 Desktop

- AMD A4-5000 Quad Core
- 4GB RAM + 500GB HDD
- DVD ROM
- AMD Radeon HD8330

Is £149 and has 2 sata and two USB 3 ports and 6 x USB 2 ports....I have no intention of using onboard raid....I want my backup solution to have disks that can be read in any system in the house.

Dimensions
Width 100 mm
Depth 367 mm
Height 269.5 mm

It will fit in my cab too...

578743-567280-800.jpg
#

578340-567280-800.jpg

Thoughts?

Last edited:
The Microserver doesn't have any USB3.0 support out of the box.

Windows 8.1 is possible (it's running on mine), but at the moment you have to disable the on board NIC and add your own. Windows 8 didn't suffer from this problem. I'm not sure if/when there'll be a fix available.

The main advantage is that they support four 3.5" drives, and with a bit of work they'll support six.

That Acer looks fine, but only appears to support a single drive (or two if you remove the optical). If that's all you need I'd stick with the WDC My Cloud you mentioned originally.

The Microserver doesn't have any USB3.0 support out of the box.

Windows 8.1 is possible (it's running on mine), but at the moment you have to disable the on board NIC and add your own. Windows 8 didn't suffer from this problem. I'm not sure if/when there'll be a fix available.

The main advantage is that they support four 3.5" drives, and with a bit of work they'll support six.

That Acer looks fine, but only appears to support a single drive (or two if you remove the optical). If that's all you need I'd stick with the WDC My Cloud you mentioned originally.

Yeah don't need an optical drive...I'm thinking I add a 4TB internal to the acer alongside boot drive then I just add USB 3 drives to the pool as and when I need them...

If I added 2 x 4TB usb drives I would have 12 TB in the drivepool with redundancy....Like a cheap ass version of the server in the out house...

The WD is limited as far as expansion and redundancy goes really the more I think about it...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom