• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Any coil whine on your 1080 or 1070?

Do you have any coil whine on your 1080 or 1070?

• Yes

Votes: 76 32.5%
  • No

Votes: 158 67.5%

• Total voters
Caporegime
Reading about, it seems that a few are having some coil whine issues, so just out of interest, are you getting it? If so, what PSU are you using?

I was switching between systems when doing a new build and using a Corsair HX750 and the coil whine was horrendous and had I not already tested the Gigabyte G1 Gaming card on my other system with an EVGA G2 Supernove, I would have believed it was the card at fault and not the PSU. Totally silent in my new set-up except for when Heaven finishes and that has done that with every GPU I have owned.

If you do get it, can you list your PSU and make of GPU please - Even if you don't get it can you list those please :)

Caporegime
OP
Would you return a card with any whine, or just whine in normal gaming?

If I could hear it and it doesn't stop. I have had many many GPUs and the only time I did hear some coil whine was when I put waterblocks on my MSI 680 Lightnings but after putting them through some punishing bench tests, it went.

Caporegime
OP
Know your meaning well but these polls unfortunately are flawed and wide open to false voting.

You'd probably get a better indication if you count up the actual results posted in the thread greg, I reckon all the figment cards scream like a banshee.

Vice versa.

I think you are spot on here Tommy. I did ask for those who had it, what PSU they used and only 2 or 3 replies but amazingly, 26 people have coil whine on their GPU but didn't bother to respond. Sad really :(

Caporegime
OP
do you have any evidence?

Looking through the amount of posts and people saying they don't have whine leads me to that conclusion. From my OP, I did ask what PSU they used, purely from my own experience with a different PSU giving coil whine.

Thread was created to try and help people define if it was the card or was a PSU fault.

Caporegime
OP
My Coil whine has disappeared after a few days running in. That's with a Strix 1080 playing Elite Dangerous on my X34a at 100hz. I am going to do more testing over the weekend with other titles before I decide whether to go through with the RMA I organised. I have a Corsair PSU btw.

I had two 680 lightnings that also needed running in. Once done though, it never returned :)

Back
Top Bottom