Any Dj's around

Soldato
Hi folks, We've been running a few DJ events at the Pizzeria and theyve gone down a storm. However I'm thinking about getting some equipment in house. So we can do our own Adhoc stuff during the summer, Or get guest DJ's in etc.

Its been a very long time since I DJ'd, Back in the day I used a Citronic Hawaii 2 and a Thames 2. With a phone to cue up etc...

So i'm baffled by the newer stuff. I do like my high end gear though so I'm looking at 2nd hand Pioneer CDJ2000NXS2 and a DJM900NX2

Any pros and cons.

I want to be able to play a range of music (I know they will play anything) Currently Ibiza Chillout stuff has been good but also want to do guest nights, Hip hop. 80's etc.

Any thoughts... Its not a club so probably overkill but if they last 10 years then great..

Caporegime
Tbh, these days you just get a Traktor controller and a laptop. People don't really use CDs any more, and with a Traktor Controller, any one can hook up their laptop.

Might annoy purists (and I say that as someone with a large 12" collection), but it's just how things are these days.

An S2 should be more than enough.

Soldato
Pioneer XDJ-RX2 or RX3 would be my pick, nobody is really using CDs these days and the two people who still use vinyl will likely bring their own decks.

You can connect an RX to a laptop (RX2 is rekordbox only, RX3 supports rekordbox and Serato DJ Pro) but most will play off a USB these days. Makes me feel very old, looking at the thousands of records I have in the house...

Denon DJ Prime 4, Live 4 or Live 2 are decent shouts and have superior technology and functionality to Pioneer... but Pioneer still rules the roost in the professional world and should be instantly familiar to most working DJs.

Soldato
OP
So I've swung the opposite direction. After spending many hours on youtube. It looks like the best option (right now) might be the Pioneer DJ DDJ-FLX4. Cheap as chips and as I'll be having a go myself looks like a good place to start from. I'll probably outgrow them quickly but they'll always do as a backup set.

Seems are far cry from mixing in the 80's for sure. Learning curve might be steep for a 50 yr old

Back
Top Bottom