Any drummers here?

Soldato
I know it's mainly guitarists here but I'm sure I recall one or two veterans here and some just starting out. Anyway, I had some free time today and thought I'd put a little random lesson together for anyone interested, or who plays in blues bands like I do.

This is a blues shuffle originated by Steve Gadd. But it's played differently from the standard way of all right hand on the ride cymbal. In this particular variation, the right hand sweeps back and forth between ride and snare, playing a softer snare ghost note as a subtle pickup just in front of the main accented backbeats/rimshots.
I also put my own little twist on it as well. Enjoy! :)

Part 1 explanation

Part 2 Demo with song

Soldato
OP
It's an older model of the Roland VDrums, it's the TD9. I got it from gumtree last year. I was lucky though because with all mesh heads, a hi-hat stand thrown in and an extra cymbal pad it was only £700. I gig on my acoustic kit but the vdrums have been invaluable to me for home practise :)

Soldato
I had a TD-12 brain with Jobeky hardware, a phenomenal setup but had to sell it all after it sat boxed up and unused for 2-3 years due to lack of space :(

Those are quite good little breakdowns there Merlin, a nice teaching aid. The only thing I'd consider is using the kit sounds rather than the acoustic sounds in the 1st vid but it doesn't take anything away from the vid.

Soldato
OP
I had a TD-12 brain with Jobeky hardware, a phenomenal setup but had to sell it all after it sat boxed up and unused for 2-3 years due to lack of space :(

Those are quite good little breakdowns there Merlin, a nice teaching aid. The only thing I'd consider is using the kit sounds rather than the acoustic sounds in the 1st vid but it doesn't take anything away from the vid.

The only reason for that is because of the way I have it set it up. I've got a line-in going into my Zoom Q3 from the kit in order to hear the kit sound. But when I speak, I'm using the Q3s built in external mics which only work when the line-in is unplugged.

Soldato
I've got a TD9 too. Love it and like you say totally invaluable for practicing without getting lynched by the neighbours...
Had a look at the vid but no sound currently - will have a proper look tomorrow!

Soldato
That's really cool! Like you say really nice to play once all the ghost notes "click". Have to admit the shuffle track is one I generally skip when playing along with the built in songs on the TD9 but not any more!
Thanks a lot for sharing.

Soldato
OP
You're welcome Rimsy, glad you like it! :) Yeah that shuffle track is a bit naff but it was the first song I picked just to demonstrate. Mostly I play to tracks I added to a Corsair flash drive I bought from OCuK, and it goes into the USB of the TD9.

Back
Top Bottom