Any Freelancers in the House?

Soldato
Hi,

In the interests of contingency plans, making sure that there's always a plan b, I was wondering about freelancing to make some extra pocket money. I am registered with oDesk and have since done a slavery job for 10c to get my first feedback, but I'm wondering about the worthwhileability of freelancing to make money.

From all of the jobs I have had a look at, there seems to be an infinite amount of Indians willing to write a thousand works for price of a packet of Monster Munch. Does being English give us any bonus points, or is it all a numbers game?

Is freelancing a viable way to make money, is there a certain way to go about it? Is it worth continuing? Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
yhack

Soldato
Client side, agency side or both?

I don't really see a big freelance market for PHP web developers anymore, I'd say you were better off getting a salaried position. IOS and general app development seems to be where money and demand are at these days.

Associate
I started off as a Freelancer on oDesk.com 2 years ago, I did the same, I was working for pennies but I got my foot in the door. Eventually after a few projects that didn't really make me earn much I had some good ratings and a portfolio. The first couple of projects on these sites, typically will be hard to acquire because your A) against cheap indian workers under valuing a saturated market and B) you have no testimonials and feedback to land you a job.

Once you get over that first hurdle it's easy sailing. I was fortunate enough to strike lucky, I had a client who recognised I had good quality work and was able to liaise with him effectively, something which us westerns have an advantage over (generally speaking). I got repeat business off said client, he was one of the best finds I have ever had on a freelancing website, he came from oDesk.com and I still work with him to date on various projects.

It's like a needle in a haystack, I find that I rarely get a decent client, (however i'm fortunate enough to turn down freelance work off potential clients who I think will be a nightmare - ie. rebuild me facebook for $200!). But sometimes you are able to strike lucky and if you manage to build a good business relationship with someone all the better.

I'd just like to mention I started freelancing during University to get me some side income, so the risks of going down this path was little to none. I don't know your position but if your reliant on it for an income it may be a little harder.

Associate
Freelancing is not easy. But, if you go at it with a good sales approach as if you will succeed. Freelancing is all about doing many different people's roles at the same time. Sales, marketing, support, the actual development work...list goes on.

Soldato
I've done some freelancing work via elance.

There seems to be loads of Indian and Pakistani based companies applying for every job they can at bottom dollar. So you can't compete on price, it has be on quality and communication.

I'm in email marketing, social media, and quantitative research. I wish they'd add an option to filter job by country.

Associate
I've done some freelancing work via elance.

There seems to be loads of Indian and Pakistani based companies applying for every job they can at bottom dollar. So you can't compete on price, it has be on quality and communication.

I'm in email marketing, social media, and quantitative research. I wish they'd add an option to filter job by country.

Number of clients I have that have come from an Indian developer and have been done out of several hundred quid...you wouldn't believe. They're not even cheap when you see the final result.

Associate
To clarify - this http://www.eclipselegalservices.co.uk/ is a WordPress site that cost £300.

Ignoring the God awful **** poor excuse for a design, the way it's built is truly shocking and unbelievable. The developer, in India, claims to know WordPress inside and out. How they've built this is to change the name of the default 2012 theme and make their own stylesheet and just use the actions from the 2012 theme to get content from the database.

It's a diabolical excuse for a website. Half of the links don't work, the sidebar has been hardcoded and not used the wp_nav_menu hook...absolute joke.

This site while it works, just...can't be delivered to the client.

Now, if I were to build this, for a professional, current design following current design principals and theories and developed to work, be stable and expandable (can be added to easily in the future) would cost perhaps £700.

To fix this site...impossible. It needs starting again.

That's my point. And this is one of several equally bad sites I've seen in the last 6 months. Indian developers should be taken to court! I'm yet to see a single piece of work which counts as good.

Soldato
Good, thats what I was hoping you meant. Was checking before I wrote a war and peace length rebuttal :D

I've inhertied a few outsourced sites which the client has spent £500 on, and then give to someone else to 'fix'. The standard of the code is shocking. It's no real surprise if you check the HTML/JS/CSS sections of StackOverflow from 7-11 most mornings.

Associate
Good, thats what I was hoping you meant. Was checking before I wrote a war and peace length rebuttal :D

I've inhertied a few outsourced sites which the client has spent £500 on, and then give to someone else to 'fix'. The standard of the code is shocking. It's no real surprise if you check the HTML/JS/CSS sections of StackOverflow from 7-11 most mornings.

Definitely not trying instigate anything here...so far from trying to or meaning to, I'm clueless as to the possible offensive interpretation of my comment. lol.

One of the best ones I saw was template files in the main the WP directory.

It really is beyond me sometimes, how they even get the thing to work. I say work very loosely, WP really struggles to deal with the mess the code is in.

Soldato
maybe in here ? :)

edit : out of curiosity, how much do you chaps charge as a day rate. I understand on the web design world its usually more a on project basis.

Last edited:
Soldato
In one word, avoid outsourcing offshore like the plague. I client asked for for a quote on a very bespoke site using Wordpress. I quoted £2995.00 - lots of planning, development etc. They then decided to go with a quote they got from an Indian company for £250.00 +vat. Of course bugger all worked on it. I'm not saying I'm a coding god, but some of the code produced was embarrassing. I wish people, well clients, would take a step back and expect to get a naff result when they pay peanuts.

Back
Top Bottom