Any Freelancers in the House?

Associate
maybe in here ? :)

edit : out of curiosity, how much do you chaps charge as a day rate. I understand on the web design world its usually more a on project basis.

Most of my work is done on per project. Though I will often charge per hour, which is currently at £55 (which is by no means a lot in comparison to some devs I know) with my skillset. My clients are happy to pay for it as they know they will receive good quality work.

Caporegime
I do freelance work on the side, but don't use any of those slave labor web sites, through my interests outside work I come into contact with loads of people that need work doing. Charity I volunteer at, owner of the riding school I go to, my horses dentist etc.

With virtually every small business you come across there is the opportunity to sell them some product along those lines.

Soldato
What attracts a client to an Indian developer?
Price.

If QuoteA = £200 and QuoteB = £2000, as a client I am thinking, is developerA really going to give me a product which is 10 times better than developerB?

It's all about return on investment. For a new/small business, costs are VERY important. And to spend a huge amount of your startup kitty on a website might not be the best way to spend the money (ie. low return on investment).

Once you get to a stage where your company is generating heaps of revenue, you can now spend the £2k+ which a UK developer might opt for.

So, if you are new or small company. Budgets are low. You want to a simple web presence. For this client an Indian developer (who won't be able to deliver a great website), would be fine.

For a Freelancer trying to get a client to pay 10x the price of an Indian developer - he will really have to make the "sale". The sales pitch will have to be good. For those with a huge portfolio...this should be easier.

OP, what you can do is try it out, bid for some jobs and see what happens.

I just hope you dont get a client who wants the following:

ie. rebuild me facebook for $200!).

Associate
I don't really see a big freelance market for PHP web developers anymore, I'd say you were better off getting a salaried position. IOS and general app development seems to be where money and demand are at these days.

This.

I went salaried 3 years ago. I still get a ton of requests for iOS/Android/Sencha/PhoneGap etc development work on contract so if you don't want to be tied to one company you might do well to extend your skills to those.

Back
Top Bottom