Any issues with using 10W40 instead of 5W30?

NVP

NVP

Soldato
So I put 10W 40 into my engine instead of 5W 30...

My mobile was dead so I could not verify with friends or the internet, the petrol station advised me 10W40 so that is what I used BUT only half a litre as I just wanted to get the light off and double check the oil once I got home.

Could this have caused any problems? The car feels like it is not reving as quickly at ~3-4k+ but this could just be me being paranoid as sometimes I notice it and other times I do not.

Have I caused any problems?

Also, I remember there was a post a long time ago about cheap oil in bulk, anyone rememeber where it linked to?

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Are you sure? The halfords website registration checker suggests Castrol Edge 5W30?

EDIT: Just realised I've asked Fox if he's sure about a BMW!! :eek: Please be gentle...

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
So both Halfords and the petrol pump man have told me incorrect oils?! :(

I'll take your guys word for it as I know you speak from experience, but does that mean I've made an even bigger mistake putting in the 10W40?

I will drain it asap but which of the above suggestions would you advise me to buy? Remember I have the 2.5 not the 3ltr.

Thanks for all the help though, much appreciated :)

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
neither I would consider to be fonts of knowledge! :D
LOL you sound shocked?!
But... but... he was wearing a badge with his name on... in a petrol station! Surely that means he has superior automotive intelligence.

How much oil did you actually put in? Getting the right oil isn't difficult - just look for the BMW LL-01 or BMW LL-04 spec on the back of the bottle.
Only exaclty half a litre.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
How long have you got until your next service?
Not too sure, I just had inspection II about 4k back.

It was only half a litre, so what if I topped up the rest of the engine with 0W30? If that still won't work, is the oil an easy thing to flush by yourself?

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
I've never needed to top up my oil since I've bought the car and the previous owner, who had it from new, said the exact same thing to me when I bought it.

Do you think this sudden need for oil is something to be worried about? I have used it an excessive amount this month and it has just come from a repair after being T-boned :confused:

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
I let the light come on so I know to top up the oil, same way I let the light come on when I know to replace the brake pads or even fill up the petrol :eek: ;)

Shame there was no light to tell me the inside of my tyres were worn to the thread though, lesson learned there... what lesson should I be learning here? Oh yeh, always carry spare, correct oil for emergency top ups!

Edit: The manual states there are two situations where the oil light comes on yellow, either during the drive or once the engine has been turned off. Mine happened when the engine was switched off and in those cases it recommends to drive no more than 50km, so I'm assuming not "that" low.

Last edited:

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Yeah Fox is right. Sorry I didn't say this before, I coincidentally just edited my previous post saying it was the yellow light, and not the bad yellow light but the first yellow.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Ah, that's fair enough. I can't say i've seen inside a late BMW for a few years, I didn't realise they were putting three oil warning light on motors now :eek: ! I'm perhaps a bit out of touch in that respect! :o:D
LOL I think they do it because of incompetent idiots like me :)

Back
Top Bottom