Any issues with using 10W40 instead of 5W30?

NVP

NVP

Soldato
So I put 10W 40 into my engine instead of 5W 30...

My mobile was dead so I could not verify with friends or the internet, the petrol station advised me 10W40 so that is what I used BUT only half a litre as I just wanted to get the light off and double check the oil once I got home.

Could this have caused any problems? The car feels like it is not reving as quickly at ~3-4k+ but this could just be me being paranoid as sometimes I notice it and other times I do not.

Have I caused any problems?

Also, I remember there was a post a long time ago about cheap oil in bulk, anyone rememeber where it linked to?

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Are you sure? The halfords website registration checker suggests Castrol Edge 5W30?

EDIT: Just realised I've asked Fox if he's sure about a BMW!! :eek: Please be gentle...

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
So both Halfords and the petrol pump man have told me incorrect oils?! :(

I'll take your guys word for it as I know you speak from experience, but does that mean I've made an even bigger mistake putting in the 10W40?

I will drain it asap but which of the above suggestions would you advise me to buy? Remember I have the 2.5 not the 3ltr.

Thanks for all the help though, much appreciated :)

Soldato
So both Halfords and the petrol pump man have told me incorrect oils?! :(

LOL you sound shocked?!

I'll take your guys word for it as I know you speak from experience, but does that mean I've made an even bigger mistake putting in the 10W40?

How much oil did you actually put in? Getting the right oil isn't difficult - just look for the BMW LL-01 or BMW LL-04 spec on the back of the bottle. (just make sure it isn't "M" spec oil though (10w60 etc))

Last edited:

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
neither I would consider to be fonts of knowledge! :D
LOL you sound shocked?!
But... but... he was wearing a badge with his name on... in a petrol station! Surely that means he has superior automotive intelligence.

How much oil did you actually put in? Getting the right oil isn't difficult - just look for the BMW LL-01 or BMW LL-04 spec on the back of the bottle.
Only exaclty half a litre.

Soldato
Upon further inspection, it appears there are a couple of companies who make 5w30 oils that are LL-01/04 spec? Does this mean they would be ok in an M54 or are the LL-01 approved for different BMW engines (ie. the 4 pots)?

That's a moot point however because 10w40 isn't appropriate for your engine at all. :p

I'm not sure what i'd do if i put 500ml of 10w40 in... on the one hand it probably won't do anything adverse to your engine in the short term, but on the other, it's the wrong grade.

How long have you got until your next service?

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm running 5W-30 in my 325i after speaking to someone who recommended it over 0W-30 due the mileage on my engine. It is BMW LL04 spec.

:confused: Surely if they're both 30 they'll have the same viscosity at temperature, which means they'll be both the same? If you wanted a thicker oil in your engine, you'd want 0w(to give good cold start protection)40.

The only thing you've changed is its viscosity at 0 degrees (?) which has simply lowered your cold start protection.

Last edited:

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
How long have you got until your next service?
Not too sure, I just had inspection II about 4k back.

It was only half a litre, so what if I topped up the rest of the engine with 0W30? If that still won't work, is the oil an easy thing to flush by yourself?

Permabanned
:confused: Surely if they're both 30 they'll have the same viscosity at temperature, which means they'll be both the same? If you wanted a thicker oil in your engine, you'd want 0w(to give good cold start protection)40.

The only thing you've changed is its viscosity at 0 degrees (?) which has simply lowered your cold start protection.

I can't remember the reasoning why, but it's LL04 approved anyway so will be fine. :)

Soldato
Not too sure, I just had inspection II about 4k back.

It was only half a litre, so what if I topped up the rest of the engine with 0W30? If that still won't work, is the oil an easy thing to flush by yourself?

If i were you, i wouldn't worry about it. Your sump is 6.5l so as long as you continue to use the proper oil i don't think it is going to do any damage. If you used 10w40 for a complete oil change - that'd be a different story.

*awaits confirmation from Simon*;)

Associate
it should be fine with 10-40 and i doubt you would notice lack of revving with 500ml. you must be due a service soon if you needed to top up, so it will get replaced?. if not, id investigate where that oil went, you used 1L in 4,000 miles :/

Soldato
it should be fine with 10-40 and i doubt you would notice lack of revving with 500ml. you must be due a service soon if you needed to top up, so it will get replaced?. if not, id investigate where that oil went, you used 1L in 4,000 miles :/

1L in 4000 miles is positively decent for an M54!

Many people have to top up every 2000 miles.

Man of Honour

1 litre in 4000 miles is brilliant for that engine.

Back
Top Bottom