Any MMORPG recommendations?

Associate
I've got really tired of WoW lately having played it on and off since Vanilla, so have started a trial of FFXIV. It's been really enjoyable so far, and apparently gets much better when you're further into it. The free trial is a no-brainer really, as it let's you level to 60 which is plenty to get a feel for things.

Soldato
Loved Vanilla WOW, the early days of EVE, SWG before JTL. I tried New World in Alpha but got a bit bored with it. Star Citizen seems a long way from being finished. Not sure what else is worth it these days. Killing off subscriptions and monetising, micro transactions and PTW have killed the communities and the genre as a whole. The newer generations don't want slow progression, which allows time to build communities. It's all about the "endgame" which is exactly what MMORPGs aren't about, it's the journey that counts.

Associate
Loved Vanilla WOW, the early days of EVE, SWG before JTL. I tried New World in Alpha but got a bit bored with it. Star Citizen seems a long way from being finished. Not sure what else is worth it these days. Killing off subscriptions and monetising, micro transactions and PTW have killed the communities and the genre as a whole. The newer generations don't want slow progression, which allows time to build communities. It's all about the "endgame" which is exactly what MMORPGs aren't about, it's the journey that counts.
Very true... I've recently got back into TBC Wow, how ever, everyone's all about min maxing and not enjoying the game....
Rather sad to see but I feel like this is the generation we live in now.

Soldato
Very true... I've recently got back into TBC Wow, how ever, everyone's all about min maxing and not enjoying the game....
Rather sad to see but I feel like this is the generation we live in now.

Yes I think the real fault lies in that the community evolved, and have better tools available to them ,but the game designers haven't moved on. They need to design with all that in mind, discouraging min/maxing or even making it defunct. Looking at scaling, maybe even doing away with levels and looking at alternative progression mechanisms. Definitely needs a real redesign from the ground up and that wouldn't be an easy task.

Last edited:
Associate
Yes I think the real fault lies in that the community evolved, and have better tools available to them ,but the game designers haven't moved on. They need to design with all that in mind, discouraging min/maxing or even making it defunct. Looking at scaling, maybe even doing away with levels and looking at alternative progression mechanisms. Definitely needs a real redesign from the ground up and that wouldn't be an easy task.
very true, I dont think they would want to step on too many toes...

That and they are making a boat load from cosmetics, mounts and pets alone...

Associate
It's been really enjoyable so far, and apparently gets much better when you're further into it.

It starts slow as you have limited skills and a global cool down that's quite a bit slower than WOW. I started as a paladin and it's very dull until you start to get skills that enhance other skills so you can chain attacks. Then you get a few off cool down abilities that you can weave in and the game really picks up.

It also has a massive advantage that if you get bored of your class you can just pick a new one, no need to switch to an alt, eventually one character can max all classes. (and crafting jobs)

Associate
I would recommend Elder scrolls online most played mmo to date with 1,500+ hours. Its a good grab especially around sales plus if you like elder scrolls lore and aesthetic its a good play. Also its new expansion blackwood came out recently and its still a big populated game.

Soldato
^^ ditto. Going to be Bias with 4k hours in it, but agree, if you like the lore and fun in general its a good blast. It can look pretty loads to do, so many regions etc.

Back
Top Bottom