Any one fit a carpet?

Soldato
We've got a small nursery/home office that I want to put carpet in. I've put a post out on MyBuilder but have had no bites for quotes, probably because its a pretty small job (2.4x2.7m). I've not been to CarpetRight or Tapi yet but thats my next port of call but foresee the cost to have the room done quite high from a place like that.

Which got me to thinking, how hard is it to actually fit carpet? Ive found someone selling a roll of new 8mm underlay for £20, grip rods cost £7 for enough for the room and someone is selling a carpet stretcher for £10 on marketplace near me. Aside from the carpet cost i'm thinking about taking a punt on doing it myself as I think anyone who does come to quote is going to quote something ridiculous because its a relatively small job.

Soldato
We've got a small nursery/home office that I want to put carpet in. I've put a post out on MyBuilder but have had no bites for quotes, probably because its a pretty small job (2.4x2.7m). I've not been to CarpetRight or Tapi yet but thats my next port of call but foresee the cost to have the room done quite high from a place like that.

Which got me to thinking, how hard is it to actually fit carpet? Ive found someone selling a roll of new 8mm underlay for £20, grip rods cost £7 for enough for the room and someone is selling a carpet stretcher for £10 on marketplace near me. Aside from the carpet cost i'm thinking about taking a punt on doing it myself as I think anyone who does come to quote is going to quote something ridiculous because its a relatively small job.
It's super easy.
Get a cheap bolster (chisel tool to push edges down) as well.
Don't forget some sharp blades as well. Measure it and double check, add a bit.
For the underlay I like to use a stapler, you can get them like a hammer in that you just swing it.

Associate
I just had two fitted but at a bit mates rates. 5x5m x2 - £100 a room.

I'm quite proficient with things but don't really have the time. I watched him do a bit and it seems terribly easy and the hard bit is the cutting it to the right size.

You need a knee kicker, bolster and cutter - https://www.tooltime.co.uk/products...MIxcyD_oXbhQMVzJxQBh3Y_gkvEAQYAyABEgLmcPD_BwE

Fitting gripper is easy, as is underlay. For the size you're talking, I'd defo give it a go...!

Associate
We just had Tapi fit a carpet in kids bedroom and actually thought the fitting costs were very reasonable.

Remove and dispose of existing carpet, fit new underlay and new carpet. Two of them turned up and had it done in under 45 mins. Paid £87 directly to the fitter which considering it would have taken me all day for an "ok" job I think is a bargain.

/Salsa

Soldato
Did a couple of rooms myself, they're not as perfect as the carpet fitters and not quite as well stretched but they were both second hand carpets. Only £45 for a room round here.

Caporegime
Which got me to thinking, how hard is it to actually fit carpet?
Honestly not that hard.

I wouldn't do a living room or somewhere that might get people dragging furniture around.
you won't be able to stretch it as good as a pro.

I've done bedrooms and they lasted years

Last edited:
Associate
I've fitted a few in bedrooms, if it's got awkward corners and stuff then i get a pro in.

Slow and steady wins though.

Always cut the carpet slightly bigger than you need so it ticks under the skirting nicely and sticks in the carpet gripper well.

When cutting fold the carpet back over and cut from behind.

Make sure you have a decent Stanley knife, pros use a fish hook type but be careful with your fingers, normal Stanley blade works well tbh. Make sure you have plenty of fresh blades though, they blunt pretty quickly, I usually as a rule of thumb use 1 blade for every wall (4 blades) in an average 3x3 room

Avoid cheap carpets with foam or felt on the back.

Underlay use the sponge stuff not the rubberised foam.

Last edited:
Associate
I've done a room slightly larger than that size and it was easy, just watch a few youtube videos on general technique and take your time. It'll probably be even easier with a real kicker but i fashioned my own from a block of 100x100,, a board and nails through the end. Spare carpet under lay wrapped around for padding.

Associate
Yes tried once, looked OK but regretted it after time had passed as it's not half as stretched as it should be. Just pay to get it done.

Soldato
OP
Managed to procure a roll of unused roll ofunderlay for £20, pack of gripper rods for £7, a carpet stretcher for £10 and already had a stanley, staple gun and gaffer tape to secure the underlay. Just need to buy a new threshold as the one we have at the moment is laminate to carpet, not carpet to carpet.

Did the gripper rods and underlay yesterday, now were just waiting for some samples to arrive then will order the actual this week. Hoping the carpet will come in around £80-£100 inc delivery so looking at £120-£140ish all inc for materials then just my time in fitting, which i'm pretty happy with.

No doubt the actual carpet fitting will be more challenging than the underlay and gripper rods, but still don't foresee it being more than a couple hours work once i've got it cut down rough size.

Caporegime
I've done three bedrooms and a study myself in my house.

Underlay and grippers very easy. Carpet harder but still very manageable DIY. Stretching it properly without ripples with only a knee kicker is the hardest part I found. Really you should use power stretchers for the best installation, but these are very expensive and most 'pros' don't even use them from what I've seen.

I get my carpet from OnlineCarpets who have been very reasonable and reliable so far.

Carpet with action / hessian backing is rough as hell, so eats Stanley blades and can chew up your wall paint, if you're not careful.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yeh ive already giving my skirting a little whack by accident when putting the gripper in!

I'm fine with the carpet fitting taking time to get right, the benefit is its a small room and i'm not trying to do some huge expanse.

Soldato
I have fitted a few myself it is reasonably easy, can be hard work getting it in and positioned/creases out. I recently discovered a tool that makes it far easier where you can just run it against the skirting board and get the right cut. Not cheap (about £50-60) but if you are doing a few it would be worth it. I fin it fairly slow going with a knife as you tend to do small sections to make sure the cut is right.

Associate
I have fitted a few myself it is reasonably easy, can be hard work getting it in and positioned/creases out. I recently discovered a tool that makes it far easier where you can just run it against the skirting board and get the right cut. Not cheap (about £50-60) but if you are doing a few it would be worth it. I fin it fairly slow going with a knife as you tend to do small sections to make sure the cut is right.

Can you post a link to the tool, even £50-60 is cheaper than a carpet fitter In a 3x2 room

Back
Top Bottom