Any other Chefs here?

Soldato
I've been a chef for 26 years. Still cook 30 hours a week, and part time Catering Manager for the other 10.
I've noticed a real decline in Chef's knowledge of cooking over the last 10 years of doing interviews. We shortlist to 6, and on more than one occasion, have had to re-advertise, as the quality of applicants was so poor.
A big reason I think, is the changeover to NVQ's. It's been scaled down so far that even a 10 year old could pass.
Whoever decided this was the way forward instead of the old 706/1/2 and 3 should be shot with shi..

Bit of a bump here, but read this and had to reply.

I'm finishing off my NVQ 2 at the moment and I agree with every word. I'm doing it part time and it would honestly be IMPOSSIBLE to fail. Exams are all done as a group and open book (despite that being against the rules) and observations are signed off even when people do things wrongly. It's disgraceful and I suspect the reason why I'm struggling to find a kitchen job off the back of that qualification (most head chefs seem very suspicious). The only places that consider an NVQ2 to be a qualification around here are microwave pubs, and I'd really rather not. My current job beats doing that :p

I'm not sure working as a Chef is ideal for me anyhow so it's not too much of a problem. I'm more interested in food production (smoking, curing, baking, patisserie, preserves, brewing etc.) than creating an Ala Carte feast 40, 50, 60 times a night.

Caporegime
Sorry if too OT, but has someone got a guide for or or can someone explain, the different levels of seniority in the kitchen? E.g. sous chef, commis, chef de patron, where they rank and what they all mean? What cultures use which terms, etc.?

Grateful in advance.

Soldato
OP
usually, but can be different in larger kitchens.

Kitchen Brigade:

( of course not everywhere has all of these, this is just what you could/would have in a large place, for eg, the ritz/savoy etc)

Executive Head Chef
Head Chef
Sous Chef
Chef De Partie
Commis Chef

You can, for instance also in large enviroments, have head chefs of certain departments if it is a very big kitchen/set up. So in essence you could have a head chef of Veg/pastry/fish etc sections.

You also have KP's (kitchen porters) who are pot washers, cleaners etc. Who, I will add are just as important as anyone else in the kitchen.

Hope this helps.

There is also
patisserie chef (dessert chef/pastry chef)
Chef saucier

you could also have someone who just does ice/butter sculptures.

Also found this on the net, sort of adds some of the fench names/positions to it as well.

Chef de Cuisine Head chef
Sous Chef Second chef
Chef de partie A chef who runs a section these will be chef de patissier / pastry chef.......... chef saucier / chef who cooks the meat dishes............chef poissonier / chef who cooks the fish dishes............chef entremittier / chef who prepares and cooks the vegetables / veg dishes .............. chef Garde mangier/ larder chef , he will make the pates & terrines and prepare raw meat , fish etc, salads and starters, normally all of the chef de parties will have a commis chef to assist them ..........
commis chefs are trainee chefs (Well, not strictly true) we are all still learning.

Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom