Any tips - fitting shelves to lath and plaster walls?

Soldato
I read what it was. But never fixed to that. Only to plaster board.

I assume the plaster is thicker on laths.

It's all over the show on mine tbh with a rough 10mm of plaster and 10mm of wood, but can be as low as 16mm combined.

The Wall Anchors I've used have been really solid and would say on checking they have centred on wood + plaster each time.

Soldato
OP
So if I can find one stud and can't line up the fixing points on the shelves to another.. would you attempt this? :confused: Like I say, I just have visions of the whole wall (or a chunk at least) coming down on me once I start drilling into the plaster :o

Been concentrating on the garden.. not come back to this quandry yet..

If the wall will come down by drilling then its going to fail anyway. Assuming you dont go at it with a monster drill and wrong drill bit ;)

Its impossible to say if your going to have issues or not.
Cant you test drill with a small bit and see if you think its sound.

If so then get one in a stud and if you cannot get the other in, either use a gravity toggle if you can find one suitable, or what I would do is drill the hole very small to start. Then open it up slowly with larger bits.
If you can have the hole large enough that the screw isn't touching the plaster, but its still a small hole in the lath you may find the lath is strong enough to hold a wood screw directly.
Lathes arent particularly thick but it might be thick enough to hold that screw.

Your going to need to play with it and see what you think as you go.
Softly softly catchy monkey

Back
Top Bottom