Any WiFi 6 routers with a 10GBe port on the horizon?

Soldato
Yes seen it weeks ago but 1 10Gb port is radically ADSL type isn't it (so not for VM cable use to connect to VM HUB4 in modem mode for example) or am I reading it wrong and you simply use the other port then you can use the left over one for 10Gb/S LAN.

"The RT-AX89X comes with two 10G ports, one Base-T and SFP+ port, which means both fiber and copper 10G connections are supported. Capture ISP advertised speeds or use your own 10G LAN network between PCs and NAS."

Then the SFP+ port not compatible with 1Gb/s.

The SFP+ port is compatible with whatever adapter you put into it. If you put a 1Gbps RJ45 SFP+ adapter in it, it will happily run at 1Gbps. Or 10Gbps if you use that type of adapter. What it can’t ever do is auto-negotiate because the adapters can only run at the speed they are told to.

Soldato
If you want 10Gb, you can buy 10Gb desktop switches now for relatively reasonable prices, add an AP supporting your required wifi standard and run something like pf/Opnsense or similar.

Realistically we are still at a stage where LACP is a more practical standard for a NAS’, unless they are flash based or have a large flash cache/partition, realistically SATA RAID or NVMe. If you have a suitable flash partition, then you can add two inexpensive 10Gb cards and have 10Gb capacity available from the router to NAS, but your clients are still gigabit. For faster transfers to the client side, you would need to upgrade them and that’s when a switch is a better option (the CPU overhead when you start moving 10Gb can mount up quite quickly) and switching is vastly more efficient done with a switch than in an x86/64 environment.

Permabanned
Asus site slow again (someone other day mentioned it), cant load it.

I assume they need the money from the Rog 3000 series sales to pay the hosting bill. :p

We had AC and there was talk of 6GHZ and AD & AE (AFAIR) but we got AX. :confused:

Associate
Soldato
I'm also following these products closely, I have a 2021 horizon for upgrading my networking to 10Gbe. Hopefully by then we'll see more products and a drop in prices.

The product you actually want is the 6GHz AX (Wifi6E) which should give genuine transfer rates over 3Gbps but only in the same room as the router. So if you want that ultra-high throughput rates you’ll need to add extra access points to your user space. WiFi6 will get you 1Gbps in the real world which is why most of the WiFi6 devices shipping are only shipping with 1GbE or 2.5GbE wired ports. 5GbE and 10GbE simply aren’t needed. When the WiFi6E stuff ships it will all have 5GbE or 10GbE ports because it will be able to saturate a 2.5GbE connection.

Soldato
The product you actually want is the 6GHz AX (Wifi6E) which should give genuine transfer rates over 3Gbps but only in the same room as the router. So if you want that ultra-high throughput rates you’ll need to add extra access points to your user space. WiFi6 will get you 1Gbps in the real world which is why most of the WiFi6 devices shipping are only shipping with 1GbE or 2.5GbE wired ports. 5GbE and 10GbE simply aren’t needed. When the WiFi6E stuff ships it will all have 5GbE or 10GbE ports because it will be able to saturate a 2.5GbE connection.

Pretty useful to know, thanks.

Associate
So I’m hoping to get Hyperoptic really soon and have a 10gbe new iMac, 10gbe in my synology nas and was this thinking of getting a 10gbe switch. Would these newer routers with 10gbe basically connect to a 10gbe switch which then goes to all the other devices? Will I still need to use the default Hyperoptic modem
I currently have a ubiquiti pro AP which fantastic, and a netgear manged switch

I’m guessing connecting the default Hyperoptic router to my current 1gb 10 port switch and then to the Mac and nas will be far slower.

big reason I’m wanting 10gbe for a for fast connection of my iMac to the nas. With Hyperoptic I’d want to capitalise on the 1gbs internet

Permabanned
So I’m hoping to get Hyperoptic really soon and have a 10gbe new iMac, 10gbe in my synology nas and was this thinking of getting a 10gbe switch. Would these newer routers with 10gbe basically connect to a 10gbe switch which then goes to all the other devices? Will I still need to use the default Hyperoptic modem
I currently have a ubiquiti pro AP which fantastic, and a netgear manged switch

I’m guessing connecting the default Hyperoptic router to my current 1gb 10 port switch and then to the Mac and nas will be far slower.

big reason I’m wanting 10gbe for a for fast connection of my iMac to the nas. With Hyperoptic I’d want to capitalise on the 1gbs internet

That's what I do. The switch handles the fast traffic then all the slow stuff is handled by the router.

Associate
Back
Top Bottom