Any windows laptop users jumping over to Macbook Pros?

Associate
Hi all,
I have been a PC (x86) user forever. I do a mix of productivity work such as video editing and animation as well as some PC gaming (mainly Steam/Epic store games). Seeing the new 2021 Macbook pros and some of the battery life claims/low power usage has made me question whether I need PCs any longer. I know gaming is severely limited on the Macs (not many games run natively MacOS) and running through Rosetta is not ideal in terms of perfomance.

I currently have a Lenovo Legion 7 (2021 model - 16'' display, 5800H, RTX 3070). Very happy with it but editing on it isn't ideal (Premiere Pro). Scrubbing the timeline often has issues and exporting isn't the fastest. I appreciate that a lot of this is due to Premiere Pro being flawed. I also use a 5950X/6900 XT desktop when I'm at home for both work and some gaming.

I was wondering if anyone has replaced other laptops/desktops with an M1Max or M1Pro Macbook and what your experience was like.

Thanks
Alex

Caporegime
I don't see why anyone would switch. For gaming they make zero sense. Huge notch on screen and cost is insane for the performance on offer.

For people who do that type of work they would already be on team apple.

Associate
OP
I don't see why anyone would switch. For gaming they make zero sense. Huge notch on screen and cost is insane for the performance on offer.

For people who do that type of work they would already be on team apple.

I think you're right. I got new gadget envy and put an order in for an M1Max. Then came to my senses and cancelled it. I don't actually need it. I guess deep down, there was a desire to give MacOS a spin. You can do that with a 13inch Macbook air or Pro for a fraction of the cost though.

Caporegime
I think you're right. I got new gadget envy and put an order in for an M1Max. Then came to my senses and cancelled it. I don't actually need it. I guess deep down, there was a desire to give MacOS a spin. You can do that with a 13inch Macbook air or Pro for a fraction of the cost though.

Can't you run that on any hardware? Like they managed to run hackintosh which was windows on a Mac I'm sure they must be able to do it the other way around as well

Associate
OP
Can't you run that on any hardware? Like they managed to run hackintosh which was windows on a Mac I'm sure they must be able to do it the other way around as well

Yes I saw a video some time ago (Linus Tech Tips I think). It is probably very possible. May even be able to run a dual boot system. I tried recovering my Apple id as I'd not used an iphone for years. There is no automatic recovery - LOL - I have to wait until 23rd Nov for them to email me when they will be "ready to reset me". Unless you have an apple device, in which case its instant :rolleyes:

Caporegime
Yes I saw a video some time ago (Linus Tech Tips I think). It is probably very possible. May even be able to run a dual boot system. I tried recovering my Apple id as I'd not used an iphone for years. There is no automatic recovery - LOL - I have to wait until 23rd Nov for them to email me when they will be "ready to reset me". Unless you have an apple device, in which case its instant :rolleyes:

I will say that Apple hardware is good but it's also very expensive. If you can get around that by running it on a normal PC then it's what I would do. But I hate buying overpriced products.

The idea of spending £3k-£4k on a laptop is alien to me. Like the maximum would be £1500 even then I'd prefer to spend £1k than £1500.

Soldato
I think you could buy the Legion and a Mac Air for the price of a MacBook Pro.

Depends what your time is worth, or if you have the disposable cash.

Soldato
I'm actually thinking about going the other way. I've got a 2017 MBP and as much as i want a new MBA or MBP i can't really justify it over my MBP, so i'm considering getting a windows machine for the money.

But every time i start looking at windows laptops my head hurts because even if i think, ok Lenovo Legion here we go there are so many different types. Sure i want the Ryzen, but do i want the 5, 6 or 7 and i end up just closing the page and leaving it for a while lol

Soldato
Unless you want to game I'm not sure why you wouldn't sell your Mac and buy a new one. For windows I got the Lenovo Pro but that's a story for another thread.

Associate
If you have a spill on a Mac that can be an expensive business, at least on a Lenovo laptop especially those for the corporate market you can get hold of a service manual and parts to get it fixed reasonably. On the other hands Macs like to solder or glue their stuff in the inside.

Soldato
If you have a spill on a Mac that can be an expensive business, at least on a Lenovo laptop especially those for the corporate market you can get hold of a service manual and parts to get it fixed reasonably. On the other hands Macs like to solder or glue their stuff in the inside.

Nearly all manufacturers are doing that now. The Dell XPS13 I type on now has soldered RAM, soldered Wifi all sorts. The only replaceable part is the M.2 SSD.

Soldato
Unless you want to game I'm not sure why you wouldn't sell your Mac and buy a new one. For windows I got the Lenovo Pro but that's a story for another thread.

I want the option to game yeah. I love my mac but i want something a little beefier and rather than upgrade to a new MBP, just keep the one i have and get a gaming laptop. Dunno, just torn lol

Associate
OP
I want the option to game yeah. I love my mac but i want something a little beefier and rather than upgrade to a new MBP, just keep the one i have and get a gaming laptop. Dunno, just torn lol

I have to say, the Legion 7 I got in April (specs in first post) is absolutely EPIC. So well made and an excellent 16:10 display. Runs almost all my games at 1440p with very decent fps without issue. It also has a proper mux switch. I got mine for £1450 with Lenovo student discount. It is on for £1600 (i.e. discounted) on OCUK which I think is still a great price

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I'm actually thinking about going the other way. I've got a 2017 MBP and as much as i want a new MBA or MBP i can't really justify it over my MBP, so i'm considering getting a windows machine for the money.

But every time i start looking at windows laptops my head hurts because even if i think, ok Lenovo Legion here we go there are so many different types. Sure i want the Ryzen, but do i want the 5, 6 or 7 and i end up just closing the page and leaving it for a while lol

This Legion 7 would be my pick. The 7 is the flagship.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/leno...hz-ryzen-7-5800h-gaming-laptop-lt-01z-lv.html

Back
Top Bottom