Any worries if XMP doesn't work correctly?

Soldato
XMP has been fine for the last 2 years but I just upgraded from Z390 to Z790 and now I need to give the XMP profile an extra 0.05v otherwise I get crashes.
With this extra 0.05v everything is stable, but should I be worried or just carry on like nothing is wrong?

Man of Honour
No big, might want to test it a bit more though, to make sure you're not getting invisible memory corruption.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'd definitely test it thoroughly to make sure settings are stable - XMP has been far from a reliable fire and forget implementation in my experience - more systems than not I've had to dial it in by hand if it is anything other than a very stock motherboard and generic, non-performance, RAM.

Soldato
OP
No big, might want to test it a bit more though, to make sure you're not getting invisible memory corruption.

I ran the windows memory check thing where it reboots into a memcheck app and everything was fine with the extra 0.05v and also without using xmp at all (stock). It crashed with just XMP settings though, without the extra voltage.

I'd definitely test it thoroughly to make sure settings are stable - XMP has been far from a reliable fire and forget implementation in my experience - more systems than not I've had to dial it in by hand if it is anything other than a very stock motherboard and generic, non-performance, RAM.

I've never had XMP not work until now and it worked on my previous board so I guess Asus must be at fault with it not working correctly on this motherboard.
The ram in question is 'Crucial Ballistix BL2K16G36C16U4R 3600 MHz, DDR4, 32GB (16GB x2), CL16, Red'

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom