Anyone a driving instructor?

Associate
As the title says anyone on here a driving instructor? Only asking as I am at the point in my life where I want a career change and I have a couple of ideas in mind one is a driving instructor. Just after a bit of information as I keep finding contradicting info. For example I have read earning seem to range between 15K-25K one site has even stated 30K after all expenses, this seems a little high to me.

But if you work it out let's say £20 p/hr and you do 38 hour lessons a week. Let's say thats over 50 weeks giving yourself two weeks of a year, that is 38k before expenses so the 30K is possible. I know in the first a couple years that a bit of a dream, until you established your school but it seems possible. I know that a lot depends on how much you charge per hour and the amount of hours you actually put into the job. If you run your own driving school or if you work for one or a franchise. If iIchoose to go down this path i would like to run my own school and be my own boss. Like I said it is just an idea at the moment.

Soldato
My brother in law did the training a while back. Most instructors seem to work 6-7 days per week and 10+ hours per day including public holidays to make it financially worth while.

It is a steady income though but easy to burn out.

Soldato
I think the downside to it is that you can hit your max income fairly easily, so no matter how hard you work you wont see any income increase beyond that. Unless you get a couple of guys working for you too, although you'd have to do a lot of hours organising and putting money into it to make it worthwhile for any future employee.

Associate
I trained to be an instructor a few years back and practiced as one in the job while doing so. The £30k a year is possible but it's a lot of work doing so.

From your OP, £38k before expenses is 38 hours of tuition given each week. What you also have to take into account is the travelling to and from each lesson (this will be greatly increased if you're not in a built up area), time for lunch breaks and also the admin work you need to put in in terms of keeping accurate accounts for your tax returns, dealing with new pupil enquiries plus keeping current pupil records up to date. As stated above, expect to need to do a lot of evening and weekend work too.

It is a very satisfying job when you take someone from having no driving experience to passing their test knowing they are at a good standard but the figures some sites say you will earn (while possible) are at the top end of the scale to sell you on the idea.

Associate
I think it's hard work, less well paid than the 22/hr gross would make you think and as others have said, is going to be dire for your health sitting in a car for 8+ hours a day. My shift work will kill me five years early but I suspect driving instructors wont be far off.

Back
Top Bottom