Anyone buy flower bulbs online?

Soldato
I'm new to the gardening seen, and have been buying from a local dobbies, or supermarket, or amazon ect, I know you said online but going and having a wonder around a garden centre is good, might give you inspiration for something else, I always seem to walk with plants that I did not go in to buy

Soldato
OP
I'm new to the gardening seen, and have been buying from a local dobbies, or supermarket, or amazon ect, I know you said online but going and having a wonder around a garden centre is good, might give you inspiration for something else, I always seem to walk with plants that I did not go in to buy

We do the same, but my wife has a list of bulbs she wants to buy to produce flowers at all the right times. She's excellent at walking away with plants she didn't go in to buy though.

We buy some stuff from you garden, they often have bulk stuff as offers (often via email once signed up) which I use at the allotment for bees etc

Associate
I used farmergracy.co.uk for some dahlia tubers and they came quick and I got 3 more they I paid for, all grew fine, they have deals every now and then at the time i got my stuff it was 50% off.

Associate
Thomson and Morgan aren't too bad. Often get their plug plant packs and grow them on. Have used Gardening Express as well but found a bit hit and miss. Thomson and morgan will refund you if they don't make it alive as well.

Associate
Boston Bulbs were good last year. We bulk ordered in August and they arrived October. These were for Tulips, Daffodils etc so didn't mind the wait. All grew as far as I know (over 500 bulbs so didn't count them all :cry:)

Soldato
Go buy plants from local GC's & your bigger ones like Dobbies/Blue Diamond/Klondykes! Prime Retail customers of where I work - we sell them 3-4 million retail plants a year.

Reason I say it - Retail has been dead this season, stores really have not stocked up after the bumper previous 2 years they had over Covid as Brexit really made them cautious. You should get some mega deals in stores as they're all holding stock longer than they should (as they're not buying much from us!)

Also Plant imports are pricey at the moment, we've seen a 10-15% hike since Brexit on our trading (big trade Nursery). Peach/import paperwork is hard and most Dutch Nurseries now charge more, coupled with higher transport costs - less UK chains will be buying stock from the continent - more deals to be had buying UK sourced and grown - which tends to be perennials and shrubs. There is more legislation coming in, more taxes also being phased in on plastics - the pots those retail plants coming in are already 2-3 times the value of the plant & compost in it. So expect retail prices to increase continually the next few years! Meanwhile that killing off your small Garden Centres and plant suppliers. Support them. Even Homebase are struggling and considering leaving the plant business (again). We've sold more to Tesco and Morrisons this season than some of the bigger GC chains. :rolleyes:

Soldato
OP
Go buy plants from local GC's & your bigger ones like Dobbies/Blue Diamond/Klondykes! Prime Retail customers of where I work - we sell them 3-4 million retail plants a year.

Reason I say it - Retail has been dead this season, stores really have not stocked up after the bumper previous 2 years they had over Covid as Brexit really made them cautious. You should get some mega deals in stores as they're all holding stock longer than they should (as they're not buying much from us!)

Also Plant imports are pricey at the moment, we've seen a 10-15% hike since Brexit on our trading (big trade Nursery). Peach/import paperwork is hard and most Dutch Nurseries now charge more, coupled with higher transport costs - less UK chains will be buying stock from the continent - more deals to be had buying UK sourced and grown - which tends to be perennials and shrubs. There is more legislation coming in, more taxes also being phased in on plastics - the pots those retail plants coming in are already 2-3 times the value of the plant & compost in it. So expect retail prices to increase continually the next few years! Meanwhile that killing off your small Garden Centres and plant suppliers. Support them. Even Homebase are struggling and considering leaving the plant business (again). We've sold more to Tesco and Morrisons this season than some of the bigger GC chains. :rolleyes:

We buy almost everything from Squires and similar places actually. We've got many, many £1 plants in the garden. I'd much rather go round and buy stuff, but I haven't seen bulbs on sale yet (maybe not looking).

With the pots, we have a huge stack of them. Only one plant has come in a biodegradable pot! Which is a real shame. What a waste of money.

I can't think of any genuinely local GCs around us.

Back
Top Bottom