• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone capable of repairing broken and bent CPU pins?

Associate
Hi,

I was switching hardware to a different case, when removing the AIO(should have just left the damn thing on) i managed to pull the CPU out at the same time. Anyway, that resulted in about 9/10 bent pins and one broken, located around 2 pins from the edge.

IMG-1873-1.png

I've seen a few youtube videos of people soldering new ones back from a donor CPU and bending them back, being that its a 5900x I'd like to try and salvage it but dont have the tools, skill or patients to attmept it. I'd probably screw it up more lol

If anyone has the knowledge and wants to have a go, happy to pay, PM me.

Cheers
Rob

Soldato
Looking at the pinout diagrams that are available online there's a chance that the missing pin is one of the many VSS pins and there's a chance that the CPU will run without it. The picture doesn't show enough to be sure of the orientation.

Man of Honour
The red circle is the broken pin I see it clearly. Blue is the bent pins.

IMG-1873-1.png

Better eyes than me then :) as above if ot were me id straighten up the bent ones and test. After that id solder in a new pin. Guaranteed to be a nightmare to solder a new one in that location.

Associate
OP
The red circle is the broken pin I see it clearly. Blue is the bent pins.

IMG-1873-1.png

Sorry about the photo guys, my phone camera just would focus on it.

You are spot on with your mark up though, thanks for that, will upload a wider angle picture in a second

Associate
OP
The bent pins are easy to fix it’s the one missing. It might be in the cpu socket which is a big problem. The cpu and board might now be damaged.

Could you upload a photo of the socket as well?

Socket is fine, fortunately i had a 3600 spare so back up and running.

Associate
IMG-1878.jpg

unfortunately my iphone just cant take photos of things this small

From your pictures and this pinout Wiki https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/packages/socket_am4#Pin_Map

The broken pin is luckily I/O power and you may have no issues running with one missing.

VDDIO_MEM_S3 = DRAM I/O Ring Power Supply

I would bend back the bent ones and try it.

If you do need to solder it I would consider getting a pro to do it, it looks easy to make a mess without experience.

Back
Top Bottom