Anyone else gone back to membrane keyboards?

Soldato
Yup membrane ftw. Those overpriced, noise polluting, slow-typing machines people were throwing in the trash 15 years ago... Its madness whats going on with them at the moment.

Its also laughable reading peoples experiences with mechanical keyboards. Trying to explain how different switches are better for different things etc. when membrane simply does everything better!

Soldato
Yup membrane ftw. Those overpriced, noise polluting, slow-typing machines people were throwing in the trash 15 years ago... Its madness whats going on with them at the moment.

Its also laughable reading peoples experiences with mechanical keyboards. Trying to explain how different switches are better for different things etc. when membrane simply does everything better!

wouldn't say it does everything better, gaming for example if you're holding down a key for an extended period (generally w) then the lighter key of a mech board is a boon.

Associate
Have you looked at the Steelseries m800?

As a fan of membrane but wanting to jump on the mechanical bandwagon this is perfect. Had it for nearly 1 or 2 (bad memory) years this xmas and cant fault it.

Soldato
I've had two and gone back to membrane.
I had a razor black widow and a steel series, both stopped working correctly pretty fast.
I now use a roccat isku and it's been brilliant.

Soldato
wouldn't say it does everything better, gaming for example if you're holding down a key for an extended period (generally w) then the lighter key of a mech board is a boon.
How about a keyboard that is great for gaming and typing, its silent and wont annoy everyone around you or your teammates on teamspeak, it's bulletproof lasting forever and available everywhere for £20 for a good one.

Dunno mate I've been gaming for 20 years and never noticed any fatigue on my keyboard fingers.

Soldato

Spot on. I do have a K70 rgb red, but I have no issues using membrane keyboards and prefer them tbh.

Associate
Have you looked at the Steelseries m800?

As a fan of membrane but wanting to jump on the mechanical bandwagon this is perfect. Had it for nearly 1 or 2 (bad memory) years this xmas and cant fault it.
+1 for this.

A bit of a hybrid - however, I still find typing more accurate on a membrane, but do love my M800 for looks feel and build.

Edit: also - only paid £79 for it in a sale.

Soldato
I prefer mechanical but it's certainly not something worth crazy money. I have an Ozone strike battle and a Corsair strafe RGB. I got both of them for under 60 quid. I would seriously struggle to justify paying more than that.

I wouldn't want to go back to membrane but I doubt I'd notice much if I did.

Permabanned
Using Corsair's with Cherry MX Silent and Red switches. I prefer the Silent, couldn't go back to membrane.

You can use o-rings to reduce the key travel as well as noise.

Soldato
I've got a Razor Blackwidow 2013 Stealth. And the only reason I got one was because there was that bug where Razor had a 90% off code on anything on their website so I got it for £9 + P&P.

It's US layout though so it's bugging me. Been trying to convince myself to get a new keyboard for the last 3 years :p. I'm in the same boat as you and I just don't get it. They're loud and 'feel' isn't really something I care for in a keyboard. And I code for my job, play FPS games quite often. I've always preferred laptop style chiclet keyboards, I'm going to probably get a Cherry Strait. Seems to fit the bill.

Soldato
You can use o-rings to reduce the key travel as well as noise.
O-rings help to "soften/smooth" bottoming noise.
But not to noise from springs kicking keys hard back to top position.
Keeeping that under control needs more controlled lifting of finger.

Here's some good stuff abotu damping those different noise sources:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Mechanical.../a_relatively_simple_method_of_silencing_any/

Cherry MX Silent apparently uses rather similar approach in both cushioning bottom impact and rise to upper position.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R939TYKyZUE

After having previously done some testing in shop I eventually bought Logitech G710+ which comes with o-rings. (when there was good discount on it)
And definitely wouldn't call it as that quiet.

Actually Topre had clearly smoothest sound from switches I had tried.
Which shouldn't be surprise because mechanical design is combination of membrane (/rubber dome) and spring.
Romer-G might be somewhat toward Topre's sound profile.

Actually typical membrane keyboard doesn't have that heavy bottoming force.
Though no doubt there are (/have been) plenty of difference between manufacturers:
Some membrane keybords are incredibly "mushy" and there's no slightest feel except that of just like pressing some jelly/rubber...
With low profile and short travel some HP keyboards are just total torture to use.
While never felt Keytronics of 20 year ago or Logitech membrane keyboards being such mushy.

Mechanical switches again have always highest force at bottom and lowest force in start of travel:
i9U0BKJ.png
MX Black has rather notable bottoming force.
Red is lot more comfortable in it, but again resistance before actuation is very light.
Brown kinda combines some feel before actuation to light bottoming force.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom