Anyone else tried painting their own car?

Soldato
Painting my MX5 MK2 matt black. What a nightmare eh?

We set aside two days... 4 days in and we're on the final stretch :)

The biggest problem we found is that it's been hard to ignore all the little things wrong with the car. I can imagine a garage has an easy time not touching anything that looks a little... suspect... but for me, once we got the car on the two post lift I was breaking everything I could!

"That break-line looks a little flimsy... if I caught on something like THIS!... yup, look, came right off!"

Until last night most of the work was cosmetic. Sanding out little blisters in the OEM paint, finding out the little blister was caused by a bigger patch of rust, finding out that rust was a hole right through the sill, taking a short 5 minute cry break, welding in some patches, crying a little more when you find out the next 2mm blister is the same thing...

Took the liberty of putting some underseal on the bottom of the car at the same time - because it hides all the bits that make me cry inside.

Aaaaaaanyway, here's some pics to make this thread a little less boring:

This was her day one:
Mxak4xF.png

This is what I did to her in the first couple of weeks - ROTA Cup deep dish wheels, wee eyelid things, chrome slapped on the wing mirrors, offset number plate. Nothing radical.
m79v4EF.jpg

But anyway, those days are gone - I'd let her go a bit and after having to get the exhaust replaced (with a twin exhaust) - she needed some TLC.

So here's the first look under the car:
gc8hJzT.jpg

Rust on the front wings I had purposely let go because a year or two ago a painter said they'd just replace them anyway - so I never bothered trying to address it. The replacement was easy enough but ended up with wings with no holes for side markers... soo eh... having to fix that somehow :)
ZoOAe6w.jpg

The three bits we sanded/ground back here started out as the same size blisters...
kjkLSoz.jpg

Welding like a boss:
v0RdfYh.jpg

Finished weld and the first layer of fibreglass:
GY3K1PE.jpg

Can you have too much filler??

W4vitRK.png

Sanding to the rescue!
AFmaTlm.jpg

This is on the other side but the principle is the same - MX5's have a line in the sill where the stone guard goes up to, so we recreated that:
fCghNA9.jpg

Checking my pics I'm annoyed I don't have a picture of the finished spot that required such as weld, but it was buttery smooth in the end and ended up looking as good as the other side (which was ground and filled, just not quite as big a whole)
NpxOdle.jpg

For the paint, I'm using Plastidip.

It's meant to be much more forgiving that regular car paint and (with enough coats) creates a vynl kind of finish that can be peeled off. The more coats the merrier but we were going for 5.

For that, I got 10L (mixed 1:1 with 5L colour, 5L thinners)

All in, £80 for the paint, £25 for the spraying for my friend's compressor.

With everything taped off, it was time to start painting!
C53RqIC.jpg

The first couple of coats go on very thin to create a base for the paint to attach to:
69BW3eu.jpg

Building up the layers we start to see the matt finish I'm going for:
6MZuUBj.jpg

Side panel starting to match the wing (which is also obviously getting painted at the same time)

You'll notice here we covered the a-frame. Part of the reason for this was that we tried reaching over to it and notice we couldn't really do it without touching the car. In retrospect it might have made sense to do it first... but who wants to do the little bits first when you can just get stuck in! (this is probably going to turn out to be an awful idea...)
F5Hcwe8.jpg

qFPXltD.jpg

Oh my god... she's beautiful! :D
OjqOzjF.png

So yeah, for first timers we think it turned out well!

Still plenty of tidying up to do, we need to do the front pillars, tidy up an edge on the door - but the paint is so forgiving that it should be fine to do the whole panel and expect it to colour match the rest of the side of the car.

Anyway, bed time! Worked until midnight most night so need some sleep... oh wait... real work... ugggggh!

EDIT: Oh, I should also say that I got my wheels refurbed and powder coated (hit the curb one too many times)

But that was done profesionally:
NsJ5Vtw.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Props for attempting it and it coming out ok but black wheels on a black car scream local drug dealer. With it being a MX5 personally I'd have gone for a bright colour on the wheels to offset the matt black.

Soldato
OP
So the original plan was actually something like this:
r0ZTLhs.jpg

The idea being that the thick black stripe would compliment/line up with the black soft top.

But... it's just been too much work fixing the car let along getting the paint on, so I kept it simple. I still have the yellow paint, and I may well get around to it, but for now - I really like the matt black :D

beauty is in the eye of the beholder
Apparently so! :D

P.S. I realise painting my car does not turn it into a Bugatti...

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been temped to get something old and then hand paint it with blackboard paint, just as a daily commuting banger. But don't have the space to store another car atm :(

Problem with DIY spraying on actual car paint, is if you don't do it in a dry room theres a high chance of it starting to bubble after a while due to trapped moisture.

But that MX-5 looks good. Matt black still looks good if it's not perfect, it suits the rough look.

Last edited:
Soldato
You're brave, fortunately I know a couple of body shop people who have always done bits as need on my cars, I think they're very talented and I would not ever try it myself, it's a art form.

Not a huge fan of the colour of your car but as long as you're happy with it, kudos for attempting doing it yourself.

Man of Honour
Sorry to burst your bubble but that rust will probably be back within 12 months.

This is the extent I went to last week to stop it in its tracks on mine

q16B4gv.jpg

0Vcfxp3.jpg

g0dFBml.jpg

Because it'll look like this behind the panel

KiR82CF.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I painted my offroader - rollered in matt black and white. Looks good from about 10 foot away :D :D
]

Haha yeah, it's definitely got its imperfections - but also some perfect bits! :D

Sorry to burst your bubble but that rust will probably be back within 12 months.

It was never going to be a permanent fix for the rust. I honestly started out thinking I'd get away doing it in 2 days... it's taken... longer :)

For anyone that's still around, I finally got my splitter fitted that I bought 2 years ago!

NX7XdSP.jpg

Back
Top Bottom