Anyone else's coolant disappearing in this heat.

Soldato
Is anyone else having to top up their fluid regular in this heat, I only topped this up last weekend, and its already down again, usually this would point to a leak to me, but ive inspected everything and cant find any leaks, with the layout of my cooling I would say if I had a leak I would have killed something by now.

9tpYCQC.jpg

Associate
When did you last refill the loop?

I have found (although it's been a while) that the first 6 months the fluid level falls then it levels out. This could be either all the air pockets getting slowly filled or some evaporation. Then it levels off.

Ran my last loop fluid for over 6 years! Levels didn't change after the first 6 months.

Soldato
OP
When did you last refill the loop?

I have found (although it's been a while) that the first 6 months the fluid level falls then it levels out. This could be either all the air pockets getting slowly filled or some evaporation. Then it levels off.

Ran my last loop fluid for over 6 years! Levels didn't change after the first 6 months.
It was only last weekend actually TBH, I redesigned the layout, I went from 7 slot config to 5 slot config, the case is a Lian Li O11 mini air, I added a 240mm to the side intake instead of a 120mm with the pump/res, which meant the only place the pump / res could go was the back of the case, however, thats looking at a window now (you can see the blinds behind) which the sun beams in through in the afternoon.

I had to mod the back of the case a little to get the pump through, I could have used the mounts that came with the res but didnt want it sticking inside the case another 30mm or so, basically the pump is outside the case.

I wanted to get the 280mm rad off the bottom of the case which was throwing hot air in this weather into the case, ive replaced it with 3 x 120mm slim fans and moved the 280mm to the top.

Last edited:
Associate
Stupid question.

Does a loop expand with the heat?

If so, could that cause the coolant level to appear as if it had dropped even though the actual amount coolant remains the same?

Last edited:
Soldato
Honestly, no not at all. My res is still near max and hasn't changed at all. Do you have a relief valve anywhere in your loop that allows air bubbles to escape? similar to what Aquacomputer sells on a G1/4 plug?

If the system is water tight, you shouldn't be losing that much coolant.

Soldato
The other thing could be trapped air in your system thats finally making its way out from in your radiators.

Top up, leave it for another week and see if it goes down again.

Soldato
Stupid question.

Does a loop expand with the heat?

If so, could that cause the coolant level to appear as if it had dropped even though the actual amount coolant remains the same?

Not really, not enough to cause coolant to drop that far. Only tubing would expand (depending on the coolant as well) but you wouldn't notice it.

Soldato
Considering you had issues with leaky fittings in the other thread it’s definitely worth getting a leak tester if you don’t already have one.

Soldato
OP
Considering you had issues with leaky fittings in the other thread it’s definitely worth getting a leak tester if you don’t already have one.

I was having issues with those micro EK fitting leaking, but im only currently using one at the moment on my CPU block for now, so far its not showing any signs of leaking, my new Barrow fittings are coming tomorrow and then that EK fitting is going out the window and speeds you wouldnt believe (look out below) :D

I have just fitted a new RGB controller to my system to get rid of all of the Lian Li controllers and wiring nightmare, I did have a check of all of the fittings, including the normally hard to reach ones as I have to take my GPU out to access half of the ports on the motherboard, I couldnt spot any leaks of any kind and couldnt tighten any of the fittings up by hand any more than they already are, so I think i'll go with what Jay85 and Andy__C suggested and just keep topping up for now, I will need to partially drain the system tomorrow evening to put the new fittings in and see how it goes.

EDIT: Ordered one, thanks, along with some more tubing.

Last edited:
Associate
The leaktester is a good idea, it's much easier for air to escape than water, so a very very very slow air leak is likely to be water tight. (And if you don't lose any air, you're golden). Keep in mind, temperature effects the air pressure in the loop when testing, if you pressurise it during the day when the room is say.... 25 degrees, then check it in the morning and the temperature has dropped to 18, the pressure will have dropped :).

As for losing water, either it has been trapped air making its way to the res, or you have a slow leak somewhere.

Associate
I always seem to have to top up my loops after 6- 8 months. No leaks. It must be me judging from the other comments, but this happens with every build I make.

Soldato
just ticked over 12months for my main loop and had 2-3mm drop in that time, flushed the old coolant and replaced a few weeks ago, spend a few hours tipping and tilting my pc to get as much air out, so far no coolant drop even in this heat. (using ek zmt 10/16mm soft tubing and mayhems x1 coolant)

its suprising what air is trapped even with the smallest move of the system after filling, its just a case of patience and perseverance with custom loops, the reward is well worth the hassle sometimes.

Soldato
I noticed liquid level going down few days ago. My loop is over 1 year old unchanged. I used the EKeak tester to make sure no air leaking before filing up. But now it seems there is more air in the res!

Soldato
That's some full on Artex you got going there. My house is the same, what were they thinking back in the 80's?

Trapped air making its way to the res would be might first thought too if has dropped that much, especially if it happened in a oner.

Associate
My rooms getting really warm 30+ over the last week but my two rigs over the last 12 months have not lost fluid.

I usually see that over the first few weeks with air moving around.

Associate
I'd be curious as to the permeability of the different types of tubing available. Some probably let a bit more out than others. I use black Tygon tubing and that material can be used for fuel, so I assume it's permeability is quite low!

Associate
I'd be curious as to the permeability of the different types of tubing available. Some probably let a bit more out than others. I use black Tygon tubing and that material can be used for fuel, so I assume it's permeability is quite low!
I shall check out Tygon on my next build

Back
Top Bottom