Anyone gone from gamepad to a HOTAS ?

Associate
If I understand it correctly, the warthog does not have a z axis ? What exactly is it on a joystick ? I've googled it, but it's not in plain English, plenty of x Box controllers but not joysticks

Do you need it/want it ?

Yes, it seems the warthog just has the usual forward-back and left-right movements as it is closely based on the aircraft stick.

The z-axis on a joystick is where you twist the stick instead of pushing/pulling it.

Do you need it? Well, it's not absolutely necessary, but can be useful - it's another axis after all.

In the context of ED, I think most would use it for yaw as that puts all the rotational controls on the stick, but it comes down to what you are comfortable with and how you fly. While most ships in ED have weak/slow yaw, you do still need to have it somewhere in your controls to give you maximum control over your ship. So if you don't have it as a twist axis on the stick you'll need to set it up somewhere else on a control that could have been used for something else. That would probably apply to other space sims as well.

For aircraft sims, on the other hand, you'd be more likely to get/use pedals for the yaw axis (as that's how planes work), so wouldn't need twist. Of course, even if you have a stick with twist, you don't need to configure it if you are playing a flight sim.

Soldato
If I understand it correctly, the warthog does not have a z axis ? What exactly is it on a joystick ?
None of the real world copying controllers have Z-axis.

That's because atmospheric planes are controlled most of the time by just pitch and roll.
Followed by throttle when changing flight state/maneuvering harder.
And then rudder in more limited situations like landing...
Though in really maneuverable planes rudder has it uses for throwing nose around in "knife fight".
(can go into "semi stall" and rotate plane around its vertical axis to follow enemy trying to circle around you)

That makes only 4 axes in full controller setup vs. 6 needed for full Newtonian flight model space flight.
And in space flight sims you need more of those axes to really control the ship.

Because of feature limitations from that copying of real world controller wouldn't buy those even for occasional use atmospheric planes.
You're essentially paying to have those real world atmoshperic plane limitations to features.
If not needing Z-axis it can be usually disabled/locked.

And remember that if you want HOTAS throttle for different games you can get separate one.
Also if game doesn't support multiple devices, for example Joystick Gremlin can be used to combine multiple controllers into one virtual controller.

Here's example of possible use of different axes in not real world copying controller setup:

Soldato
If I understand it correctly, the warthog does not have a z axis ? What exactly is it on a joystick ? I've googled it, but it's not in plain English, plenty of x Box controllers but not joysticks
Do you need it/want it ?
I use the Z axis mapped to Yaw for most of my space sims. I use it often, as I yaw into turns, especially in combat, and I have a mini-stick on my throttle to which it is mapped for analogue control.
However, I also combine it with strafing (up, down, left and right), which are mapped to digital controls, which is especially useful for coming in to land on a pad or something.

Soldato
I absolutely love HOTAS for space Sims. I've tried gamepad (eugh) and K&M (meh) but it just doesn't cut it.

A proper throttle and stick (or stick and stick) just feels great and is far more immersive).

Worth mentioning there's a feeling out process with each new game where you're working out binds that are right for you. Might be a pain for some, but I actually quite enjoy it.

Personally I'll be sticking with HOTAS, but can absolutely see the appeal of HOSAS for space Sims.

Back
Top Bottom