anyone got freeview

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Mohinder said:
You don't actually get it properly unless you pay for it though. So ner.

As the guy above says, TVX on freeview is indeed *cough* not strictly subscription only

Soldato
Jez said:
Dude, its about 40 quid :confused: For this very small outlay you get an almost video on demand type service if you upgrade the box. I have around 16-17 full pages of everything that i could possibly imagine, and have links set up so that it records everything that could possibly interest me.

40 pounds a month? 500 a year!

Associate
I happily pay sky £53.50 a month here (two sky+ boxes on multiroomed sky world).

For what its worth I like the content- movies, sports, documentaries mainly and don't live in a cabled area. Hence sky it is :)

Think about it though- £50 a month is a night out a month, for entertainment in the evenings when its either raining or i'm knackered from work. Good deal tbh :)

Soldato
Got Freeview here too.

Thought that different boxes would have better quality channels, could get more channels but Im wrong. Tried a few boxes between £20-£40 at some family and friends houses and they are all the same.

Downstairs, we have ditched sky as the prices are too high for all the repeated crap really thats shown. We have found out that it aint worth the money. We only used it to watch Man U games really but we watch them down the pub or go to the game so its no great loss on the that behalf.

Freeview is great I think. Picking up a box for £20 is great value for money...

Would recommend it to anyone.

Soldato
Everyone has different value set etc... Different people want different things from TV... So 50 pounds is happily paid by some, but too much for others...

For me, the 17-18 pounds we pay a month is TBH a little more than I'd like, but tollerable. I certainly can't justify any more, as:-
1) There nothing on the channels I don't have I want to watch.
2) I can live without recorded stuff (Sky+). All the series I like (Lost, Galactica, Jericho) I obtain *cough* and watch at my convenience...

If freeview had scifi and a couple of the other channels, I'd probably swap over...

Soldato
I had freeview for abit, but the box I had didn't pick up that many channels so I sold it and bought another box, which did pick up afew more channels. It was decent alright, but I couldn't watch it if it was raining or windy, you really do need a good aerial for freeview, even though mine is good it obviously wasn't good enough. So I had no choice but to go for sky multiroom instead. So far I have no complaints really, clear picture regardless of the weather. Much better quality box and remote with the sky :p

Soldato
It's a bit of a PITA. We get so few channels here, in a well built-up area, yet further up the estate (15 mins walk) they get all the channels. Hopefully they'll sort it soon. :(

Associate
e36Adz said:
I had freeview for abit, but the box I had didn't pick up that many channels so I sold it and bought another box, which did pick up afew more channels. It was decent alright, but I couldn't watch it if it was raining or windy, you really do need a good aerial for freeview, even though mine is good it obviously wasn't good enough. So I had no choice but to go for sky multiroom instead. So far I have no complaints really, clear picture regardless of the weather. Much better quality box and remote with the sky :p

This post is a little confusing. Your aerial is good but not good enough? Why didn't you get someone out to sort the aerial out, so you got all channels with Freeview. Probably would have cost about £100 all in, but now you're paying what - about £250 every year?

Soldato
I usually recommend the £27 Digilogic boxes from Tesco.

Pretty much all of the UK now has Freeview coverage, you may just need a good aerial installation. If not then get Freesat.

The important word there is installation, no point having a good aerial which is badly aligned and connected to a poor cable.

Soldato
Gavstar said:
They don't happen to have an RF modulator rather than just loopthrough do they? Need a box for an older, scartless TV.
No they don't.

Sagem do a budget receiver with RF modulator, forgotten the model number though sorry.

Soldato
i just got a freeview unit with built in harddrive for £100 and using a bog standard indoor powered aerial which is plugged in to plug socket in loft and works a treat. Menu system is way better than NTL's rubbish slow system and the ability to record 40 hours of Tv onto HD is great. Thinking of ditching NTL now, just not worth it TBH

Soldato
Freeview with hardrive > Sky.

Had Sky for a long time and it was too many repeats and found myself spending most of the time just flicking through the channels looking for something to watch.

Now with the Freeview box I just tag everything that looks interesting too me and then when ever I want to watch a bit of TV there is always something good.

Additional bonus of the Freeview and harddrive is you get all the Sky+ features of pausing/rewinding TV without all the stupid costs.

Only advantage Sky has at the moment is HD, but until there is a lot more content I'll be holding off as I don't believe it's worth the premium.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
How can you possibly say that a freeview PVR is better than a sky+ system? The + system is so much more fluid, with mountains more channels, and comes with the all important series link option which is the most used feature of the whole thing as once you link everything you would ever be interested in it turns it into video on demand.

Soldato
Jez said:
How can you possibly say that a freeview PVR is better than a sky+ system? The + system is so much more fluid, with mountains more channels, and comes with the all important series link option which is the most used feature of the whole thing as once you link everything you would ever be interested in it turns it into video on demand.

Series link is apparently going to be in the spec of Freeview Playback which is due to start easteer time next year.

I have a dual tuner freeview box with built in HDD and it's brilliant, gives me plenty of choice and so easy to record everything I want. There are a few channels I'd love that are only on Sky but I can't justify the money for it!!!

Valve

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
valve90210 said:
Series link is apparently going to be in the spec of Freeview Playback which is due to start easteer time next year.

I have a dual tuner freeview box with built in HDD and it's brilliant, gives me plenty of choice and so easy to record everything I want. There are a few channels I'd love that are only on Sky but I can't justify the money for it!!!

Valve

Thats good to hear :) A twin tuner freeview PVR + huge disk + series link would well be worth a look, until then though the lack of this feature means i would have to be constantly every single day set the tuners to record all the time - it would take hours.

While freeview is arguably better for the money, to say its better outright is nonesense. £43pm plus a small equipment cost is well worth it to me to have a constant 30 hours+ of material on demand all of which is stuff i have chosen, effectively has no adverts or padding, its great.

Associate
valve90210 said:

Valve

Which dual tuner Freeview box have you got?

Back
Top Bottom