Anyone got the Epson 9400W projector?

Associate
I'd just track down an Epson 9300.
It's virtually a 9400 without HDR at 4k/60 (which is for games, where the HDR tone mapping of Epson sucks) for £1000. It's also a little quieter.

At least if you buy that, you won't lose any money selling it on or kick yourself cos £1k is much less than £2.5k or £5k.

Hi, aoaaron, nice to meet you.

IS this advice still relevant 8 months later, any idea if epson will release a new model soon? I found a 9300 but warranty is only 1.5yrs. Guess most used 9300s will be quite old now.

Will be using with ub820, ps4, xbox one x. So not the latest consoles yet. My main concern is sound as I usually use a headset as little one sleeps upstairs. And I believe the epson has no speakers on board or headphone jack?

Cheers,

J

Soldato
Hi, aoaaron, nice to meet you.

IS this advice still relevant 8 months later, any idea if epson will release a new model soon? I found a 9300 but warranty is only 1.5yrs. Guess most used 9300s will be quite old now.

Will be using with ub820, ps4, xbox one x. So not the latest consoles yet. My main concern is sound as I usually use a headset as little one sleeps upstairs. And I believe the epson has no speakers on board or headphone jack?

Cheers,

J

9300 is still fantastic value for money and will likely not depreciate much further in price.
You have warranty on the PJ and the bulb.

If you are talking about speakers and high level projectors like Epson, Sony, JVC, you need a separate solution. These are home cinema level projectors and therefore do not come with sound. all the money and R&D is put into the image.

You need an AVR or a HDMI splitter for audio out if using the cinema line of EPson PJs.

Epson may release new line of PJs soon so I would not pay full RRP for 9400. 9300 is a steal at <£1k.

Soldato
I should have asked, any best practice when using the different picture modes etc for this projector?

Natural is the best mode to use for colour accuracy.
Bright Cinema mode is good for ambient light but you lose a lot of perceived contrast.

For videogames, always use SDR. The only PJs worth using HDR on videogames are JVC ones because you need DTM for a good PQ with HDR.
For films, hopefully you have a PC connected and can output them via MADVR so MADVR does the DTM. It will look gorgeous if you do this.

Lamp wise use whatever you want dependant on brightness wanted and noise.

Soldato
Cheers aoaaron, I picked up one last night for 1k, so now just need a screen and sort the sound issue
Whats your budget for sound?

I recommend AVR wise getting the cheapest second hand you can which has the basic features you need (e.g. Atmos). No need to spend a lot; especially with HDMI 2.1 roll out being in the process over the next couple of years.

Screen wise if you want to save some money, try some Grey Steel 2 dulux matte finish on a wall. I think you'll be surprised.

Associate
Hi aoaaron,

thanks for your continued help.

Good tip re: screen, I have an 82 inch Optoma pullup screen that curls at the edges but for now it is good enough, I will try the paint option (but we rent currently so cannot do that), would this paint just be for the wall to be projected too, or all walls, it should definitely help darken the living room that doubles as my cinema room.

Long term, I will aim for a fixed frame ALR screen I think ideally 110-120 inches :)

For sound am tempted by the Samsung 950T as it is currently reduced as end of line, The Mrs hates the idea of lots of speaker wires and this seems more discreet - what do you think?

My other dilemma with the TW9300 is HDMI port usage, here is my setup:

Inputs (5):
Virgin media box
NUC PC - plex - but now will look into MADVR as per your suggestion.
Panasonic UB820 4k player
Xbox one X
PS4 Pro

Soundbar:
Cheap 2nd hand panasonic one from 10 years ago - but sound is fine. Has HDMI in and out and Optical sound input

Screens (2)
Panasonic OLED - 2 years old (55 inch)
Epson TW9300 - 1 4k port, 1 1080p port

Should I get some fancy switch / HDMI hub to pass all the inputs into , but with 2 outputs plugged into the viewing devices?

Ideally it need to support 4k and ideally 4k 60.

What do you think?

Thanks,

J

Soldato
Hi aoaaron,

thanks for your continued help.

Good tip re: screen, I have an 82 inch Optoma pullup screen that curls at the edges but for now it is good enough, I will try the paint option (but we rent currently so cannot do that), would this paint just be for the wall to be projected too, or all walls, it should definitely help darken the living room that doubles as my cinema room.

Long term, I will aim for a fixed frame ALR screen I think ideally 110-120 inches :)

For sound am tempted by the Samsung 950T as it is currently reduced as end of line, The Mrs hates the idea of lots of speaker wires and this seems more discreet - what do you think?

My other dilemma with the TW9300 is HDMI port usage, here is my setup:

Inputs (5):
Virgin media box
NUC PC - plex - but now will look into MADVR as per your suggestion.
Panasonic UB820 4k player
Xbox one X
PS4 Pro

Soundbar:
Cheap 2nd hand panasonic one from 10 years ago - but sound is fine. Has HDMI in and out and Optical sound input

Screens (2)
Panasonic OLED - 2 years old (55 inch)
Epson TW9300 - 1 4k port, 1 1080p port

Should I get some fancy switch / HDMI hub to pass all the inputs into , but with 2 outputs plugged into the viewing devices?

Ideally it need to support 4k and ideally 4k 60.

What do you think?

Thanks,

J

I have a 110'' Draper ALR screen RRP £2000
I also have a dedicated home cinema room with painted walls and ceiling.
IMO the dedicated room gives a better PQ than the Draper ALR so I would go for that.

If you want the best performance possible, I'd buy some MVEL22 fabric and create curtains for the side walls about 2-3M out from the projection image and some MVEL22 on the ceiling 1-2M out. You can just buy audio panels for these.

Paint the ceiling dulux matte gallant grey and walls either gallant grey or slate.. .these are safe light colours which still block a lot of light.

For the HDMI issues, buy an AVR mate which has dual output HDMI . Denon or Marantz are good; preferably Marantz. If you can get an Arcam cheap like an AVR 390, I'd pikc that all day over D&M.

Associate
Thanks again for the tips.

From a budget perspective I guess it makes sense to do stuff in following order:

Get room treated - grey walls plus fabric
Then after consider screen, is your draper react a 16:9 or a 2.35:1 , there is a Guy local to me selling the latter so am tempted if the stars align - I.e the price is fair and the Mrs doesn't object.amd.of course it fits on my living room wall.

I don't think an amp and speakers will.wotk for me currently due to size and wires. Do you think the Samsung 950t at around 750 is an OK stop gap?

For the hdmi should I look at a fancy hdmi linker , I read they can help solve some signal.issues with tw9300, but might be mistaken.

Soldato
Thanks again for the tips.

From a budget perspective I guess it makes sense to do stuff in following order:

Get room treated - grey walls plus fabric
Then after consider screen, is your draper react a 16:9 or a 2.35:1 , there is a Guy local to me selling the latter so am tempted if the stars align - I.e the price is fair and the Mrs doesn't object.amd.of course it fits on my living room wall.

I don't think an amp and speakers will.wotk for me currently due to size and wires. Do you think the Samsung 950t at around 750 is an OK stop gap?

For the hdmi should I look at a fancy hdmi linker , I read they can help solve some signal.issues with tw9300, but might be mistaken.

I have no idea. I am a bit of an audiiophile so I'd take a 2.0 tower setup with a subwoofer and a good AVR over a sound bar.

Soldato
OP
Well now it seems next Wednesday we may learn of new 4k laser projector(s?) from Epson at Ei Live UK electronics show.

Back
Top Bottom