Anyone have experience with connecting a pc to a LG CX with a v. long (5m+) hdmi 2.1 cable?

Soldato
My PC and TV are about 5m apart from each other, at opposite sides of an open plan area in my house.
(the PC will not be moved from where it is!)

Curently I have a long hdmi cable running under my floorboards, coming out in a socket next to the TV and the PC. I have been able to connect PC to TV and occasionally go in the other direction and connect PS5 to my monitor.

However it is not HDMI 2.1, so I am thinking of pulling up the carpet & floorboards and putting in a new cable. Obviously wouldnt want to go through the effort of doing this if it wont work!

Have any of you had any success using very long (~5m+) hdmi cables to connect PC to TV? (in particular the LG Cx series)

Soldato
I bought a 4.6m 'basics' 2.0 cable in Jan 2019 and it seems to work fine at 4K 120Hz on the CX though I have not played that many games using it. Did recently play a 40hour game with no dropouts though even with HDR on so it might be worth giving the one you have got a test before looking to a new one.

Soldato
OP
I bought a 4.6m 'basics' 2.0 cable in Jan 2019 and it seems to work fine at 4K 120Hz on the CX though I have not played that many games using it. Did recently play a 40hour game with no dropouts though even with HDR on so it might be worth giving the one you have got a test before looking to a new one.

I am finding it a bit tricky to even get a signal.

Part of the issue is probably that my signal has to pass through more steps:

Computer ->hdmi cable-> wall socket-> underfloor hdmi cable -> wall socket -> hdmi cable-> TV

I might try getting a short hdmi 2.1 cable for that computer to wall socket step and se if that helps.

From reading around, it looks like I might need to get a hdmi optical cable to have a reliable signal.

Associate
My PC is connected to my TV with a 20m cable, and it works flawlessly. I'd suggest getting an active HDMI cable - this will help no end. Shouldn't need one for 5m, but if you're struggling, it may be the next step.

I haz 4090!
Don
I have pretty much the same setup as you, just without the wall sockets. 5m 2.1 cable going from my PC on one side of the room, into my CX on the other. I just went with a £20 job labelled as 8k and it works fine.

Associate
I'd recommend optical for a long run. You need to check the bandwidth specs, plus earc can be flakey, not that it will affect your application?

With some active hdmi cables, the amplifier has been known to fail as well, although I appreciate that no cable is guaranteed to work forever.

Also beware fake certification.

Back
Top Bottom