Anyone heard of Umbraco CMS?

Soldato
heard of it, not really used it as it's asp.net based. As I use Linux servers that's not going to happen easily! The site itself looks a bit messy, but is quick to load, so promise there...

Associate
Hi I have used it, the company I work for had a website made and the developers used this so we could make changes, at the time myself and other colleagues didn't know much about making edits but this made it very easy for us.

Associate
OP
Thanks guys, summary so far
  • Its a CMS for ASP.NET development.
  • 2 for
  • 2 against
  • 1 undecided
A couple of friends of mine have switched from drupal, joomla. Thats why I'm wondering is it worth learning, given that I also use ASP.NET, or are there any catches? It seems to be backed by microsoft http://www.microsoft.com/web/umbraco

Last edited:
Associate
It's not gonna give you any awesome reason to switch languages for the sake of it, cut as you're already friendly with the language I'd say it's entirely your preference; it's a solid cms but it's nothing groundbreaking is all :)

Soldato
could be regarded as a plus or a minus. I think I'd prefer solid over groundbreaking and flaky. That's your pick. I'm not really in a position to comment 100% as I'm php based...

Soldato
It really depends on what your looking for in a CMS system, if it's out the box working with minimal coding then it should be fine.

If your looking for a more programmer orientated cms that fits in with the MVC pattern then check out n2cms, we're just about to release a large site using it to drive some of the content. You make your templates in code as decorated classes, no nasty xslt/xml ;) but you need to know what your doing.

Associate
I don't like it because its all based on XSLT (At least last time I checked).

Umbraco is written in .Net and XSLT is just one method you can use in your templates for outputting and formatting content. You can use custom usercontrols, XSLT or Razor which is an MVC View Engine.

Associate
I've used Umbraco on several CMS projects.
The latest release (4.7 iirc) has a Razor engine of sorts, which makes creating templating a lot easier.

The best .NET CMS imo is EPiServer. However, this is not an option for a lot of companies, as it costs around £10k for a license.

Back
Top Bottom