Anyone here got the new (Current shape) Mondeo?

Associate
I've just picked one up yesterday as a company car. 2 Litre TDCI, 140 BHP, Nice car, Very quiet and fairly quick for a diesel estate.

Thing is I find it a little uncomfortable as it feels to me like the steering wheel is offset to one side and is at a funny angle as well. To me it feels like the left side of the wheel is closer and I can't sit straight.

I said it to "Her indoors" who seemed to think that I am just being a bit picky, I suppose I am picky about all things automotive. Well she is just back from a quick trip top town (about 15km each way) and she has felt it too !!

I do about 50,000km per year. I have a round trip to Cork tomorrow, two hours each way. I'll report back here.

Thing is she drives a E46 Coupe and I have read reports of this being a problem with this car, neither of us have any problems with it :confused:

Anyone else notice this ?

Kieran

Caporegime
I had a similar discussion with a driver the other night, he was convinced the wheel was offset slightly on the Scania we were driving in, after I pointed out to him how he properly adjusted his seat & steering wheel, his "problem" went away.

:)

Associate
Hi,

I've got a new shape Mondeo. Not noticed that with the wheel tbh. Only thing I've found is that I have to make sure my legs are between the bolsters on the seat to be comfortable. Seats are comfy but I don't think on the standard seats that you can adjust them for tilt to tilt them down (I find the seat too high at the front where you legs are).

Recently I did 2 back to back 210 mile trips and didn't find myself tired or aching at the end.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replys guys.

I did about 4.5 hours in the car today. I was bugging me as soon as I got into the car again so I tried adjusting the wheel position again.

I found that when the steering wheel position lock is open it is possible to move the wheel to the left and right slightly. Just enough to make it feel comfortable. It's only a very small movement but it is enough to be felt.

It's almost centered now, definitely not perfect but definitely better. It kinda feels like and looks like the steering wheel is not pointing in the direction of travel, it's pointing towards the centre line of the car.

Thanks again

Kieran

Associate
OP
It's not a fault is it? Didn't feel like that on the one I had.

I'm not sure. One of our sales guys picked up an identical car on the same day as myself. I'm going to compare with his car when I see him in the office next.

Kieran

Caporegime
Thanks for the replys guys.

I did about 4.5 hours in the car today. I was bugging me as soon as I got into the car again so I tried adjusting the wheel position again.

I found that when the steering wheel position lock is open it is possible to move the wheel to the left and right slightly. Just enough to make it feel comfortable. It's only a very small movement but it is enough to be felt.

It's almost centered now, definitely not perfect but definitely better. It kinda feels like and looks like the steering wheel is not pointing in the direction of travel, it's pointing towards the centre line of the car.

Thanks again

Kieran

:)

Associate
Nope, seating position is fine in mine. Wish I could say the same for the colour mis match of the bumpers and the terrible fuel economy (40mpg)!

Associate
Well I have the 2.2 diesel and only got around 1000 miles on it so far and working my mpg out I got 42-44 mpg on a 400 odd mile run. That was probably sitting at 75-80 most of the time - not crawling in the slow lane for max mpg.

I've read they get better mpg once the engine has a decent number of miles on the clock.

Associate
Sorry didn't specify which engine in the post above. It's the 2L TDCI.

I've been monitoring the fuel consumption from new and for the first 3000 miles it averaged 42.7 but now it has dropped to a shade over 40mpg. This is driving as gently as i can, feathering the throttle, anticipating traffic ahead and not exceeding the speed limit! Only as an experiment mind, I dont normally drive like this.

Back
Top Bottom