Anyone here know much about Dobermans

Permabanned
^TANK^ said:
Just wondered why Dobermans have there ears and tales docked :confused: anyone know?

Because people want their dogs to look a certain way. They get their dogs to look this way by mutilating them.

*n

Soldato
^TANK^ said:
Just wondered why Dobermans have there ears and tales docked :confused: anyone know?

The tail is generally docked as they were trained as fighting dogs, and the tradition has stuck, never seen one with its ears docked and my next door neighbor trains them for cruffs.

KaHn

Soldato
OP
Im very intrested in this breed and was considering a pet for the future but i want to find out as much information as i can before going for the plunge. I want a dog with its tale and ears ;) .

Soldato
^TANK^ said:
Im very intrested in this breed and was considering a pet for the future but i want to find out as much information as i can before going for the plunge. I want a dog with its tale and ears ;) .

Dont get a doberman, I would consider them as the dumbest and most aggresive dogs I have ever met, even well trained ones will go for pretty much anything.

My neighbor has kept them for aslong as I can remember (18ish yrs) and of the 6 he has had only one has been friendly to others, the rest will go for anyone.

The last one they have went for my mam as she came home from work when it got out of the front door.

Get a german shepard or a siberian husky.

KaHn

Soldato
^TANK^ said:
Husky now thats a stunning dog :cool:

Those are the two I am considering for when I retire so I can spend time with the dog and train it, I dont understand people who expect to have a well trained dog from locking it in the house all day while they do a 9-5 job.

KaHn

Also I would not suggest gettin any dog unless you can spend about 50% of the day with the dog, so depending on your job this might seem a lot but if not you may aswell get a gerbil.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
KaHn said:
Those are the two I am considering for when I retire so I can spend time with the dog and train it, I dont understand people who expect to have a well trained dog from locking it in the house all day while they do a 9-5 job.

KaHn
I agree im buying a huge three bedroom town house with a small garden with my girlfriend and best friend. Myself and girlfriend work in the day and my friend does night shifts so if we got a dog he/she would never be alone.and there would be long walks we are fitness freaks lol .:)

Last edited:
Soldato
Consider a Labrador.....loyal, friendly, reasonably docile but can be fiercely protective, intelligent....at least all the ones I've met are. Cocker Spaniels are wonderful mutts too. As with any dog, however, they need lots of exercise :), especially Labs. And if someone offers you an "American" Labrador, politely decline ;)

Associate
KaHn said:
Dont get a doberman, I would consider them as the dumbest and most aggresive dogs I have ever met, even well trained ones will go for pretty much anything.

My neighbor has kept them for aslong as I can remember (18ish yrs) and of the 6 he has had only one has been friendly to others, the rest will go for anyone.

The last one they have went for my mam as she came home from work when it got out of the front door.

KaHn

What utter pap you speak you generalise far too much.. I have had 4 Dobermanns over the last 20 years and none of them have been vicious, excellent guard dogs yes but vicious? lol not on your life...

They are intelligent and extremely loyal, all the essential qualities needed for a faithful guard who will be friendly- no I should say loving to those you invite into your home and who will repel with all their might those who aren't invited...

Good breeding upbringing and training in that order goes a long way towards having a good balanced UNvicious dog. That goes for Dobermanns and all breeds of dogs.....

Erect ears? floppy ears? In the US and parts of the EU it is legal to cut and tape up the ears of dogs giving them the erect ears like a GS but in the UK and some other countries it is illegal, hence the floppy ears. Dobermanns with floppy or erect ears are all basically the same....

Last edited:
Associate
KaHn said:
The tail is generally docked as they were trained as fighting dogs, and the tradition has stuck, never seen one with its ears docked and my next door neighbor trains them for cruffs.

KaHn

Wrong also. Dobermanns were trained solely for guard duty not fighting. Herr Loius Dobermann wanted a quick 'smallish' intelligent dog to protect him as he went about collecting taxes. He bred several breeds together to come up with the early 'Doberman Pinscher'. Over the next few decades the breed was refined to how we see it today...

http://www.geocities.com/athens/1878/dobefaq.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dobermann

My Dobermann

Zak001es.gif

Last edited:
Caporegime
KaHn said:

KaHn

what utter rubbish. of the many dogs that i have had over the years, the 2 cleverest were by far the doberman.
friendliness and aggression comes from breeding (as in most dogs).
very very loyal and very protective. excellent with children and other animals... if from a good bloodline.

maybe there was a reason it went for your 'mam', as dogs dont generally pick on one person for no reason.

Caporegime
tank, another suggestion might be an Akita. there is a young one next door and hes massive. beast of a dog which is again very loyal and nice to children (my boy), other animals (it lives with a cat and has our cats to deal with).

Soldato
KaHn said:

KaHn
What a load of tosh! If you knew the history of the dog the tail docking goes back to the fact lots were born without tails in the early stages of the breed and people liked the way they looked so after that point tails were docked. Or so the history of the dobermann has been written. I've never seen a dobermann in the uk with cut and wired ears. I spent 20 years having dobermanns as pets and they are one of the softest, easy going dogs around provided that they are properly raised and trained.
Unfortunately, Its people that make stupid statements like that which give a good dog a bad name.

Soldato
I hate them.
No i dont know a lot about them, but people who live in run down council houses do not need a pair of Dobermans protecting them from me delivering their Amazon parcels.

I used to deliver to a woman who lived in a 2 bed Semi who used to keep FOUR Rodisian Ridgebacks in her house.
FOUR of the ******* things, one takes up enough space.

Dobermans to me are one of those breeds (through no fault of the individual dogs themselves) who get bad reps through complete morons being allowed to have pets.
I'll qualify my statement by saying that in my time delivering, i have met only one person who doesnt live in a run down council house that owns a Doberman and he lives up near Alford, that one at least lets me get to the house before it goes completly spastic.

Soldato
Sputnik II said:
Its people that make stupid statements like that which give a good dog a bad name.

Tbh personal experiance plays a large part in this, as for the docking sorry I got that bit wrong, I still stand by my original statement that they are viscious.

KaHn

Back
Top Bottom