Anyone here work in F1?

Associate
I’m a mechanical engineer by trade, came here as a contractor doing CADCAM work in the machine shop. Took a permanent job a few years ago and now I work in management, still in the same area :).

We machine metallic and composite parts for the car. Everything from small brackets to full gearboxes etc.
Sounds good as well as being something I don't imagine you get to bored of :)

Soldato
I’m a mechanical engineer by trade, came here as a contractor doing CADCAM work in the machine shop. Took a permanent job a few years ago and now I work in management, still in the same area :).

We machine metallic and composite parts for the car. Everything from small brackets to full gearboxes etc.

I might have walked passed you at some point, though I spend most of my time stuck in a corner of an area with some big measuring machines, I calibrate the NDT kit.

Associate
Not directly but I did work for the company who built the websites for Red Bull and Toro Rosso, I designed and built the backend platform that runs these two websites amongst other Red Bull websites.

My fondest memory was we had a tour of the Red Bull factory, I did catch a glimpse of Christian Horner in his office. The tour was followed by a meeting over looking the bays where they were preparing the cars for Spa I think. This was during 2012 and 2013 seasons. Car launches were fun as they were online so we were one of the few who got to see the new cars before the public did.

Man of Honour
I accompanied one of our Sales girls on a visit to Red Bull in MK a few years ago when we did some courier work for them, which was quite interesting. Didn't get a tour but got to see some cool stuff in the factory. Also got to have a proper look at the replicas of the Driver's and Constructor's cups which was pretty cool - considering they are replicas you really would not know, the weight and quality looked pretty damn authentic to me.

Parking outside was a nightmare! Has it improved at all since then?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Some great stories in here :)

I've been reading "The Mechanic" which is a book from Marc "Elvis" Presley, talking about his time at McLaren as a mechanic between 2000 and 2010... some of the stories in there are worth a read, if anyone is looking for a book.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I think I’m ‘the other one’ at RB :D

I’m factory based but I’ve done a few parts runs out to races. Not for much longer though, because I’m moving on in a couple of weeks. It’s a good place to work but I need to shorten my commute.

Now I know what Milkybk does, I can say with almost certainty that I work with him but he doesn't know who I am :D

Soldato
I'm involved with the Netflix documentary they're shooting at every race at the moment; although sadly I dont get to travel abroad. I'll be down at Silverstone in a couple weeks though!

Associate
Wife's cousin used to work for a company that had the contract for a couple of teams for the radio comms kit, installation and then operation at the track - they had a load of contracts with other motorsport as well (MotoGP, Formula E etc). He enjoyed it but usually ended up working from Friday night all the way through to Sunday evening without any sleep and in the end the constant travelling got too much. Apparently the RedBull pit crew are epic on a night out :)

Soldato
When I started clay shooting back in 1984 I sort of teamed up with a fellow shooter who had just started like me - From then on we shot together for most Sundays in winter but he wasn't around in summer - I asked and he said he worked for the Arrows F1 team - There is a video of him as left front tyre change man at one GP - his job was gearbox mechanic - I did get a couple of tickets to British GP once. - He packed it in years ago when Arrows folded but the thing that stands out with me is the number of time he said "One of my mates died this week"- On that wheel video when he fired up the air wrench this huge cloud of brake dust cover him - Also when turbo's came out they used to mix the fuel - he said it was like mixing Spirit of salts - His mates were dying of lung related problems and he has been to hospital for tests quite a few times.
One of the drivers I think was Michele Alboreto was a good pal of his and treated him to a new shotgun - He had a Beretta made for him at the factory - fully fitted - was a really nice gun.

One thing he said was don't upset Ross Braun.

Back
Top Bottom