Anyone know anything about vans?

Soldato
Its not applicable to the OP but we run a fleet of small vans. Fiesta 1.4's and they are good for well over 250k if serviced regularly. I've just taken one out of service @344k but it does only need a recon gearbox and exhaust.

344k out of a 1.4..Can't complain at that.

Man of Honour
Man with a van who comes to our place has always been a Merc guy but has nothing but praise for his VW Crafter...says he can squeeze more in one than a lwb Sprinter as well...
:)

We run a bunch of crafters at work I believe - the main problem with them has been the drivers :S one especially though seems to attract problems no matter who is driving it - been grazed along a bridge parapet, reversed into a parked lorry and had someone go into the back of it all in a month (right after it was repaired).

Man of Honour
OP
We run a bunch of crafters at work I believe - the main problem with them has been the drivers :S one especially though seems to attract problems no matter who is driving it - been grazed along a bridge parapet, reversed into a parked lorry and had someone go into the back of it all in a month (right after it was repaired).

This is an issue with this purchase. He can service it bang on spec but can't account for how it's going to be driven over 40k miles per year. Yes there will be long trips but that could be with a lot of weight in the back. There will also be plenty of short, cold journeys and many hours of idling time associated with it being driven by people who don't own it...

Soldato
Caporegime
Install a vehicle tracking system. We've just done this at work, everyone is driving around like little Miss Daisy now.

We've got CTrack with the Driver Behavior Indicator: http://www.ctrack.co.uk/tracking-solutions/vehicle-tracking/driver-performance-solutions.html.

Give a £20 prize each month to the best driver.

We were sold this on the basis that it would pay for itself in saved fuel, I was skeptical initially but it does look like it will.

Stobart use a telemetry based system on their fleet, we earn £5 per day for staying within its parameters, the system paid for itself - on a fleet of 2500 HGV's - within 6 Months, tbh I drive normally and attain my bonus more often than not.

Back
Top Bottom