Anyone know how to make "proper" Ramen

Associate
I cheated, found a place that sells concentrated tonkotsu broth, it was £20 for a 1L portion, very expensive but as it turns out, incredibly good!!!! I mean it is light years ahead of Wagamama and almost on Japan level, if the bowl above is 10/10, this is easily an 8, may be even a 9 once I work out the ratio to my liking.

It even has fat on the broth, I am satisfied and I can say this will do nicely as a substitute, vs slogging away for hours.

tGTIKOg.jpg

QLUPs8T.jpg

VLj4Tow.jpg

Necro thread but with a pressure cooker and a good butcher making a broth from scratch that will **** all over that sous chef stuff is dead easy. Not a slog at all.

Also, if you're making at home with concentrated base, make sure you spend a bit of time making a half decent tare and make a batch of mayu too. Really makes a big difference.

Also, always sous vide your char siu!

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Necro thread but with a pressure cooker and a good butcher making a broth from scratch that will **** all over that sous chef stuff is dead easy. Not a slog at all.

Also, if you're making at home with concentrated base, make sure you spend a bit of time making a half decent tare and make a batch of mauy too. Really makes a big difference.

Also, always sous vide your char siu!

I already sous vide my meat, it's the easiest way.

Don't have a pressure cooker...I am trying to stop myself collecting cooking gadgets that only use once a year. I know how to make the broth from scratch but I am never at home for that long at a time so it is difficult to fit it in.

Last edited:
Associate
Problem with wagamama is it can be hit and miss.

Went in April and the Korean Beef Ramen was very good, went back in May and it was tasteless.

I was recommended a Japanese place in Stoke called MISO....it was shocking!

Associate
Problem with wagamama is it can be hit and miss.

Went in April and the Korean Beef Ramen was very good, went back in May and it was tasteless.

I was recommended a Japanese place in Stoke called MISO....it was shocking!

Wagamana ramen is utter trash. BD and Tonkotsu are okay but Wagamama is so so so far behind.

I already sous vide my meat, it's the easiest way.

Don't have a pressure cooker...I am trying to stop myself collecting cooking gadgets that only use once a year. I know how to make the broth from scratch but I am never at home for that long at a time so it is difficult to fit it in.

Good! Yeah, that was the problem for me. And with a full sous vide machine not even a smaller immersion version, space is at a premium. But the pressure cooker is definitely worth it. You can cut ramen stock down from 18 hours to just a couple (and you don't need to babysit it). Same with pho stock. Instead of a day it's just a few mins and ready a few hours later. Normal soups and bisques are simple. Braises are great and I have one that will cold smoke too.

Just looked at that sous chef ramen stock. Has it changed? I can't see how it's close to being useable. It doesn't have any meat in it at all?!

Caporegime
OP
Wagamana ramen is utter trash. BD and Tonkotsu are okay but Wagamama is so so so far behind.

Good! Yeah, that was the problem for me. And with a full sous vide machine not even a smaller immersion version, space is at a premium. But the pressure cooker is definitely worth it. You can cut ramen stock down from 18 hours to just a couple (and you don't need to babysit it). Same with pho stock. Instead of a day it's just a few mins and ready a few hours later. Normal soups and bisques are simple. Braises are great and I have one that will cold smoke too.

Just looked at that sous chef ramen stock. Has it changed? I can't see how it's close to being useable. It doesn't have any meat in it at all?!

The taste though, it is REALLY good, better than a few ramen places I've had here in the UK, only bettered than the ones I had in Japan. I may be clouded by my memory but I am going back in a few months so will compare again.

Associate
Got a decent butcher near you? A couple of ham hocks plus a couple of chicken carcasses, all pressure cooked with a basic mirepoix for 90-120 minutes will give you a very rich gelatinous broth.

Associate
You really do need the trotters.
Great for gelatine, but honestly I don't rate feet for adding flavour to a stock. I boiled several kilograms of chicken feet I got from an Asian supermarket once; the stock turned out very thick but tasted of very little. I'll stick to whole carcasses or at least wings in the future!

Back
Top Bottom