Anyone non-panic buying?

Soldato
Supply of certain foods is getting patchy and is likely to get worse. Yesterday's news featured schools being told to stock up on frozen food to cover a potential shortage.

Energy rates are rising and although the government assures us that there won't be black outs this winter, the grid will be running to within 6% of capacity (still within guidelines though).

A couple of work colleagues are genuinely panicking IMO by buying a 2nd chest freezer for the garage and stocking it with frozen food. If we all did that it would be a repetition of the fuel panic buying situation and there would be no food left within days. I do, however, think it's prudent to buy one or two extra long life food items per week and have a box of extra food just in case. So far I've bought:

Dried pasta
Tinned beans
Tinned vegetables
Tinned fruit

Regarding power, our house is all electric. I've bought 2 extra camping gas bottles, not the massive cylinders, but the little ones campers put in a backpack, so on top of the normal stock in our camping gear that's a total of 4 bottles. We've also got a box of candles anyway, just standard white candles. We've also got 2 usb powerbanks which I'll keep charged to charge phones with.

So, if things do get dire with food supplies in the winter, we'll have a bit of grub. If there is a power cut we can have a cuppa and some light, and use the phone.

I don't think the above precautions are venturing into foil hat territory, is anyone preparing for shortages this winter? Or is anyone really not bothered at all and thinks it's a waste of time and effort? I'd be interested to hear people's views.

Soldato
OP
But this is part of the problem. All it takes is a % of people doing this then people see low stock on shelves and off we go again with people being insane. Not that I blame you for doing it, but it's all a part of the problem.

I'd would also argue that having a well stocked pantry (or equivalent, not everyone has a pantry) is just sensible anyway though, so I guess what I'm saying is meaningless. Standard.

You're quite right. My grandparents are all dead but they lived through WW2 and rationing and much of this preparedness for supply shortages was passed onto my parents. I, however, only used to buy enough food to last a week and by the end of the week, the cupboards were bare. My gf, on the other hand, is a feeder and rams the cupboards full of food, but not necessarily food that will last.

Soldato
OP
In March 2020 in our office we'd just stocked up on biccies for the biscuit tin:

2 packs custard creams
2 packs Borbon creams
2 packs digestives

They sat in a drawer in unopened wrappers for 18 mths and when we returned to the office in September I tried one before throwing them away (the majority wanted them disposed of) and it tasted fine, as fresh as a new biscuit.

I also had a Tupperware tub of tea bags and made tea yesterday, which was fine. It tasted better if anything!

Soldato
OP
So, the general consensus regarding food is that most people aren't stocking up any more than usual, which is understandable because it is unlikely there will actually be a general food shortage. I do get the impression that many people who've commented are convinced that it simply won't happen, and any preparation, even just a box of dry goods, is akin to being a doomsday prepper with a cellar full of weaponry and nbc kit. To me it's about risk and reward. If the poo does hit the fan, we have extra essential food, and if not, we can either eat the food or donate it to a food bank.

What about potential power cuts? To me it's a no brainer to have a box of candles in a cupboard somewhere. Most important, of course, is hot beverages. If we get a power cut in our all electric street, I'll be the one with a steaming cuppa thanks to extra gas bottles. In a post Brexit/covid apocalyptic world of power cuts in an all electric street, the man with camping gas is king!

Soldato
OP
I have my goose and xmas pud so i'm happy in case everything else falls apart. I'll have to wait for Dec for the mince pies because they best before date is before new years at the moment

So you're buying Christmas dinner in mid October. Is this something that you normally do 2 months in advance, or have you bought the stuff in advance due to predicted shortages? I appreciate that pre covid/brexit there were shortages of certain foods around Christmas anyway, but I just want to get an understanding of whether you're just following your usual routine or not.

Soldato
OP
Tomorrow morning after a lie-in, I'll be gloating while munching some toast covered with homemade sweet chilli jam made from peppers that I grew last year.

I'm down to 2 jars left, but will be planting this year's seeds soon.

Back
Top Bottom