Anyone not use a credit card ?

Soldato
Wouldn't go near one with a barge pole, and hopefully won't have to with how much more widely accepted most debit cards are these days. I'm firmly against borrowing, so if I can get through life without, I will!

Soldato
Got one on the advice of my bank while at uni, I use it for petrol and pay it of every month, its a great way of keeping track of how much it costs to fuel the car.

Associate
[TW]Fox;18061433 said:
His point couldnt be any more clear if he'd tried.

He is arguing against those who think credit card companies only want people who never pay back on time.

Thanks! Did wonder how I was going to explain it any better..

Man of Honour
:confused:
Won't a debit card do that?

No, unless you have an overdraft or something there are no credit facilities on a debit card.

Me and Mrs Dimple have never had a Credit card but we have a massive rating.

Because you own a home and have paid off a mortgage every month for decades, I would imagine.

Any form of borrowing with succesful repayments will build a credit rating - credit cards are just the easiest form for most people to obtain.

Man of Honour
[TW]Fox;18063970 said:
No, unless you have an overdraft or something there are no credit facilities on a debit card.

Because you own a home and have paid off a mortgage every month for decades, I would imagine.

Any form of borrowing with succesful repayments will build a credit rating - credit cards are just the easiest form for most people to obtain.

Ta.
I don't really do money, that's Mrs Dimples job.

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

I have Sony Credit Card that I purchase everything through. I pay the balance off each month and as such about every 18 months I get a nice expensive freebie from Sony :cool:.

Last time it was a very nice Hi-Fi system.

Associate
I have had the LloydsTSB Airmiles duo cards (AMEX + MasterCard running off the same account) for just over a year. It's fantastic. I've accrued enough points for a free flight to anywhere in zone two (most of Europe).

Before that I had (and still have, but never use) a Barclaycard. There's no reward scheme for using it, so I keep it for emergencies.

I've paid interest twice, but that was at the end of my gap year when money was running short. It got me through a month before I got a job and was able to pay off what I owed.

Man of Honour
ive managed 24 years with just using debit card.

You used a debit card when you were 2 years old? 5 years old?

In reality, the most you've really used one for is about 6-8 years.

i did end up getting one a few months ago 2 days before the tv broke :p so got a new one on that.

mine and fiancées plan now is to pay them off,

This is how people get into trouble with them. They view them as a way to buy things they cannot currently afford. This is where bad debt comes from.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I've got 2 VISA debits and 2 Maestros.

I've also got two more VISAs, but they're billed automatically at the end of the month.
That's not strictly a credit card though is it, as their linked to my accounts and I can't stop the payment.

Soldato
I always have enough money in the bank to outright buy whatever I want anyway without paying monthly interest.

So does everyone else here. The difference is Tesco pay me about £40 a quarter to use the Cradit Card which i then change up for £120 restaurant vouchers. Its only Strada, Bella Italia and Café Rouge but the food is nice and its essentially free.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;18061433 said:
His point couldnt be any more clear if he'd tried.

Buy a £100 item, pay it off on the due date. Credit Company gets NO interest from you but its wrong to say they dont profit from you - they take money from the merchent for the sale. So, profit is generated for the CC company as a result of your purchase.

He is arguing against those who think credit card companies only want people who never pay back on time.

Thanks! Did wonder how I was going to explain it any better..

Well it was both clear and something which I already knew, but my point was it doesn't make any difference to me the customer whether or not the CC company are making any money out of me.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I got one, in fact, I for quite deep into debt, minimum payment each month was over £120. I kept paying bit and bit and my limit skyrocket, and i got further into debt.

Oaid it all off this year and not used it since but they are good for getting good credit rating...which i suspect i have by doing what i did.

Likewise. Will be paid off at the end of Jan, great start to the new year and a sign of things to come. Looking forward to it!

Soldato
I've had credit cards for years and years. We've never really been in debt, I've just always used them to buy things now and pay at the end of the month, always paid them off on time. Plus they are handy to have whenever we've been away, or for those "just incase" times.

Back
Top Bottom