• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone on more recent stuff waiting for faster (not first year) DDR5 before upgrading?

Soldato
Currently still using a 3700x, may upgrade to a 5000 series chip or may not. Undecided yet. But i have the option which is good.

I was wondering if anyone is holding on for the first round of DDR5, or keeping with what they have and wait for faster and cheaper DDR5 say a year later.

Alderlake looks interesting but i can't help but feel Ocean Cove could be a lot better at least from the rumours I've seen so far. On the AMD side it looks like Zen 5 will compete with Ocean Cove by then. And if waiting for better DDR5 you get the bonus of most likely getting it cheaper and with newer better CPUs.

Soldato
OP
Looking forward to ddr5 - bit agree with post above unless you have radical new cpu performance having fast ram is not gonna make much difference.
That would be the only way i would go straight in on a new platform with DDR5, and i can't see the first CPUs being that much better to want it. At least with rumours i would currently be betting on Ocean Cove on the Intel side. So maybe 2022/2023 for me anyway.

Soldato
OP
That is going to be about a 6+ year wait then :/ if you waiting with what is in your sig at moment then you will ne struggling way before that I would think.
These days we are starting to see decent uplifts that benefit even if you upgrade in just 1 or 2 generations now.

Wonder if Intel will start allowing more generations of CPUs to be used on their boards. Currently a lot more convenient with AMD since you only have to swap the chip.

Back
Top Bottom