• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone on more recent stuff waiting for faster (not first year) DDR5 before upgrading?

Soldato
Currently still using a 3700x, may upgrade to a 5000 series chip or may not. Undecided yet. But i have the option which is good.

I was wondering if anyone is holding on for the first round of DDR5, or keeping with what they have and wait for faster and cheaper DDR5 say a year later.

Alderlake looks interesting but i can't help but feel Ocean Cove could be a lot better at least from the rumours I've seen so far. On the AMD side it looks like Zen 5 will compete with Ocean Cove by then. And if waiting for better DDR5 you get the bonus of most likely getting it cheaper and with newer better CPUs.

Soldato
I have a 3900x, I will probably upgrade to a 5900x/5950x in a couple of years to extend the life of the platform for as long as I can. My last rig was a 2600k so I'm hoping this will last just as long with a GPU upgrade.

Soldato
I'm skipping first gen DDR5 for obvious reasons - 2nd Gen will be faster and cheaper than 1st Gen early adopters.

Also, no matter how much extra bandwidth DDR5 provides, it won't help gaming performance unless you are cpu bottlenecked playing at 1080p - so if DDR5 is the real deal, gaming use case for early adoption is competitive gaming - casual gamers should wait for price drops

Associate
Looking forward to ddr5 - bit agree with post above unless you have radical new cpu performance having fast ram is not gonna make much difference.

Soldato
Yes, you'd be mad to buy into it at launch. The progress in just one year from X99 to Z170 was huge in terms of pricing, speed and compatibility when DDR4 arrived. Early DDR4 modules were rubbish and some ICs barely work on modern platforms, whilst getting anything above 3000MHz to work on X99 requires silicon lottery luck. Many chips and boards couldn't even manage that.

Soldato
I have a 3900x, I will probably upgrade to a 5900x/5950x in a couple of years to extend the life of the platform for as long as I can. My last rig was a 2600k so I'm hoping this will last just as long with a GPU upgrade.

Very similar story. I also think there may be over more generation on AM4. An upgrade in a couple of years should keep me going for 5+ years. I think investment in more GPU power will serve me better.

Associate
I upgraded to DDR3 on Z97 when x99 and DDR4 was released. Just upgraded to DDR4 last week when my 5900x arrived lol.

Soldato
I don't expect much from DDR5. Fast memory only makes a difference at lower resolution. Anyone playing at 1440P or higher will not benefit at all since you will be mainly gpu limited rather than cpu. None gaming applications may be better though but I doubt if it's a huge step up.

Once gpu's are not the limiting factor at 1440P then maybe the DDR5 or faster will make a difference but by then many people will be jumping to 4K 144Hz which again will cause gpu's to be the limiting factor. Also DDR5 will be very expensive on launch so I would personally give it at least 2-3 years before making a jump to the next gen up.

Enjoy the Ryzen 5000 series for now imo.

Last edited:
Associate
Currently still using a 3700x, may upgrade to a 5000 series chip or may not. Undecided yet. But i have the option which is good.

I was wondering if anyone is holding on for the first round of DDR5, or keeping with what they have and wait for faster and cheaper DDR5 say a year later.

Alderlake looks interesting but i can't help but feel Ocean Cove could be a lot better at least from the rumours I've seen so far. On the AMD side it looks like Zen 5 will compete with Ocean Cove by then. And if waiting for better DDR5 you get the bonus of most likely getting it cheaper and with newer better CPUs.

ddr5 I await when they fixed all the bugs in frist generation and wait for second aka 2 years from now or so.
its why I upgraded now with a mature ddr4 platform

Permabanned
I don't expect much from DDR5. Fast memory only makes a difference at lower resolution. Anyone playing at 1440P or higher will not benefit at all since you will be mainly gpu limited rather than gpu. None gaming applications may be better though but I doubt if it's a huge step up.

Once gpu's are not the limiting factor at 1440P then maybe the DDR5 or faster will make a difference but by then many people will be jumping to 4K 144Hz which again will cause gpu's to be the limiting factor. Also DDR5 will be very expensive on launch so I would personally give it at least 2-3 years before making a jump to the next gen up.

Enjoy the Ryzen 5000 series for now imo.

Low memory throughput is one of the major APU performance bottlenecks - we could have relatively fast integrated graphics if AMD developed "DDR5-5000" compatible platforms sooner.

Soldato
OP
Looking forward to ddr5 - bit agree with post above unless you have radical new cpu performance having fast ram is not gonna make much difference.
That would be the only way i would go straight in on a new platform with DDR5, and i can't see the first CPUs being that much better to want it. At least with rumours i would currently be betting on Ocean Cove on the Intel side. So maybe 2022/2023 for me anyway.

Soldato
Pretty much in the same boat. Will change over processor within 2 years depending on my need. May go to a 8core SKU all depend on what prices are like.

definitely won’t be in a hurry to hop onto the DDR5 band wagon. I will let the dust settle prices to normalise before overhaul everything :).

Associate
Well I’m still on X58 with a 6 core X5650

Was going to jump for Ryzen 5000 and RTX 30** but with the crazy prices and non availability I think I will wait zen 4 as assuming AMD commit to the same socket longevity I will get the most use out of it.

Permabanned
Well I’m still on X58 with a 6 core X5650

Was going to jump for Ryzen 5000 and RTX 30** but with the crazy prices and non availability I think I will wait zen 4 as assuming AMD commit to the same socket longevity I will get the most use out of it.

I think it's a big mistake to wait for the Zen 4 APUs in 2022. They will include integrated graphics which means die area for real CPU cores lost.

They don't even try to optimise the software for heterogenous computing, so that our normal daily apps to be accelerated by the graphics units.

I don't understand why AMD moves in that direction - might be a Bulldozer-style mistake.

The same with Intel that will include low performance cores in Alder Lake.

Associate
So that doesn’t say they will only be APU. Only Warhol Is going to be zen 3 or probably zen 3+. For me that’s fine as I’m interested in the longevity of the socket. AM4 life is now very limited.

Back
Top Bottom