Anyone own a Surface laptop/pro/go

Soldato
OP
Using mine as a Laptop Replacement for now, easily does anything I previously used a laptop for, works fine on my 1080 screen - scales nicely.

Thank you for the reply I may buy one I need something light, but just found out about their LG gram... Choices choices.

Soldato
Thanks! I'll keep checking .

Dont think it will be back in stock but I was looked nearly everywhere gone out of stock and almost gave up and went to Microsoft to order Surface Pro 6 with Type Cover bundle for £749 but I checked ukhotdeal got Surface Pro 6 i5, 256GB SSD and Signature Type Cover for £899. I checked the site out and noticed it has 128GB option and holy crap it has Signature Type Cover option for £749 in stock and I grabbed and ordered it a few mins ago. :)

YES! Phew so relieved! :D

It probably still have some stock left for you to grab one in time. :)

Soldato
Dont think it will be back in stock but I was looked nearly everywhere gone out of stock and almost gave up and went to Microsoft to order Surface Pro 6 with Type Cover bundle for £749 but I checked ukhotdeal got Surface Pro 6 i5, 256GB SSD and Signature Type Cover for £899. I checked the site out and noticed it has 128GB option and holy crap it has Signature Type Cover option for £749 in stock and I grabbed and ordered it a few mins ago. :)

Thanks :) This is more of a want than a need for me, so I think I'm going to skip it this year. If these had USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 it would make it much easier to justify getting one.

Soldato
OP

I went for it aswell I needed a new laptop thought I would give this 2 in 1 a go, not sure about the grey alcantara thought might have to purchase the black none alcantara keyboard.

Associate
I went for it aswell I needed a new laptop thought I would give this 2 in 1 a go, not sure about the grey alcantara thought might have to purchase the black none alcantara keyboard.
thanks for the msg, now if i can figure out how to trust reply i would lol.

Still on the fence a little, deciding between a surface pro 6, pixel slate or even (dont hate me) trying out a macbook (feel like i should try the OS), maybe bootcamp windows.
Can you run vms on the surface? Nothing major i just like to have a linux vm on something like virtual box on machines to do bits with?

Videos seem to suggest it can do some light gaming (i'm more thinking stuff like command and conquer apposed to battlefield 5 etc).

Soldato
OP
Np I ended up sending my surface pro 6 back as it had to much back light bleed :(. You can't go wrong with mac OS it's really nice, I would buy another Macbook pro it wasn't for the awfull keyboards. I'm not sure about pixel slate as your limiting yourself to android OS....

Permabanned
We all just got surface pro's at work to replace our desktops alongside a surface dock and dual 1080p screens. I have the i7 model, 16gb ram and 500gb ssd, its plenty quick enough for my dev work. Integrated gpu is rubbish mind, I did manage to get Fifa 19 running on lowest settings and lowish resolution and it was playable on single player. I expect none 3d games or older games would be fine. Cant comment on wear and tear yet only 2 months old. :) Really quite a nice piece of kit. At work my two monitors sit just high enough so I can remove the keyboard from the pro and stand it up under the screens so I effectively have 3 screens, I put outlook on the pro and work on the 1080p screens above, pretty decent setup.

I cant see any point at all in a Pixel slate, chrome os is near useless isnt it?

Associate
We all just got surface pro's at work to replace our desktops alongside a surface dock and dual 1080p screens. I have the i7 model, 16gb ram and 500gb ssd, its plenty quick enough for my dev work. Integrated gpu is rubbish mind, I did manage to get Fifa 19 running on lowest settings and lowish resolution and it was playable on single player. I expect none 3d games or older games would be fine. Cant comment on wear and tear yet only 2 months old. :) Really quite a nice piece of kit. At work my two monitors sit just high enough so I can remove the keyboard from the pro and stand it up under the screens so I effectively have 3 screens, I put outlook on the pro and work on the 1080p screens above, pretty decent setup.

I cant see any point at all in a Pixel slate, chrome os is near useless isnt it?
Trying to work that out what i'd use chrome OS for over a normal android tablet. I quite like the idea of having the playstore also but guess that just makes me use it as a tablet.
Decisions decisions. I'll be going desktop less soon. So looking for something to replace my current setup. Bonus of being something that could do some light gaming or take on a plane with me is a bonus. So will have to look.

Soldato
Decisions decisions. I'll be going desktop less soon. So looking for something to replace my current setup. Bonus of being something that could do some light gaming or take on a plane with me is a bonus. So will have to look.
If you're going to get rid of desktop PC and as you mentioned also running VM you should get model with good amount of CPU power and 16GB of memory.
(especially when memory is typically soldered in compact/lightest devices)
Especially older models have might have only dual cores.

There are now also quite good number of "convertible" laptops with display turning 360 degrees.
If you're basically replacing desk PC and know you're going to use keyboard constantly, I don't see much sense in "tablet first" device.

As for gaming integrated GPU's are only good for either old or low requirements games.
And anyway devices meant for good portability rarely have more powerfull separate GPU.
Tablet first devices with just separate keyboard certainly don't have much of room.

IMO you should start by doing list of things you want most.
What are absolute priorities...
What "if possible" features...
Connectivity requirements. (like if you have external monitor)
Of course size and weight and price limits.
And then work on that starting point looking for various devices.

Soldato
True. I keep swaying back to the Dell XPS 13/15... 15 having a GPU. Will see.
15,6" laptops are rather bulky for something to be carried along when say traveling.

At least strategy games don't benefit from highest framerates and neither they need high graphical settings to give their "core game experience".
So integrated GPU wouldn't be completely hopeless.

Anyway if you want good battery life you better avoid models with H-serie CPUs.
That's more like "drag from wall socket to another" device CPU and unless battery is proportionally bigger, increasing bulk and weight of device, battery life takes a dive.

Man of Honour
Np I ended up sending my surface pro 6 back as it had to much back light bleed :(. You can't go wrong with mac OS it's really nice, I would buy another Macbook pro it wasn't for the awfull keyboards. I'm not sure about pixel slate as your limiting yourself to android OS....

I ended up returning mine with a screen fault - not sure what I'm going to do now.. picked up a Surface Go to replace my iPad - its not massively powered but its great for taking notes at work and actually not too bad with doing a little bit of photo editing and vector design for work.

There are times I need a full power machine though - I might try again with another Surface Pro 6 or perhaps even the Surface Laptop 2 - only other thing thats really caught my eye is the Lenovo X1 Carbon.

Wouldn't mind the option for an external GPU but none of what I like supports Thunderbolt 3 yet!

Soldato
OP
I ended up returning mine with a screen fault - not sure what I'm going to do now.. picked up a Surface Go to replace my iPad - its not massively powered but its great for taking notes at work and actually not too bad with doing a little bit of photo editing and vector design for work.

There are times I need a full power machine though - I might try again with another Surface Pro 6 or perhaps even the Surface Laptop 2 - only other thing thats really caught my eye is the Lenovo X1 Carbon.

Wouldn't mind the option for an external GPU but none of what I like supports Thunderbolt 3 yet!
I was going for surface laptop but I sometimes get sweaty palms I have seen people complain about the alcantara staining easily.

I'm considering the Dell XPS 13 or LG gram which can be upgraded easily (add more ram, ssd, and even replace the battery)

Last edited:
Soldato

Microsoft's support for latest connectors seems to be about as bad as their support for maintenance:
No cleaning of fan in such disposable garbage design...
Wish "environmentalists" were as eager to attack this kind fashion trash as they're to blame countryside and farming.

X1 Carbon is mentioned here working with external GPU.
https://improb.com/best-external-gpus/
Lenovo has very good connectivity in most of their models, except low end.

Back
Top Bottom