Anyone stocking up on canned food etc.. Brexit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
So are you in favour of unsustainable food lines?
Define unsustainable? I hardly think importing tomatoes from the continent is unsustainable.

If you feel this strongly about the state of food in the UK, why not start (or join?) a consumer-led movement to convince the public and retailers to buy/sell more responsible produce?

It would be a damn-sight better way of achieving your goals than economic self-flagellation, leading to enforced price-hikes and/or shortages.

Soldato
Define unsustainable? I hardly think importing tomatoes from the continent is unsustainable.

If you feel this strongly about the state of food in the UK, why not start (or join?) a consumer-led movement to convince the public and retailers to buy/sell more responsible produce?

It would be a damn-sight better way of achieving your goals than economic self-flagellation, leading to enforced price-hikes and/or shortages.

Unsustainable = long term not viable for an increasing world population. Just look at some imported food items that have been outpriced for the locals due to western demand ramping their price up.

Do you think a consumer led movement would work though? I don't think it would. What would work is a big shake up. Anyhow, it isn't a goal. I'm simply acknowledging and accepting the reality of our ever growing population and a constant living in entitlement and luxury.

Caporegime
Unsustainable = long term not viable for an increasing world population. Just look at some imported food items that have been outpriced for the locals due to western demand ramping their price up.

Do you think a consumer led movement would work though? I don't think it would. What would work is a big shake up. Anyhow, it isn't a goal. I'm simply acknowledging and accepting the reality of our ever growing population and a constant living in entitlement and luxury.

Long term is that the World population is going to level off and reduce, from about <12 billion is basically the limit, notwithstanding other influences.

Even in the midst of WW2, we couldn't provide for ourselves, so how exactly are you squaring this circle?

Soldato
I've already got some spare jerry cans of petrol in the shed, that's about the extent of it. Realistic speaking there will be disruptions to petrol supply to varying degrees, it is only reasonable to take precautions. You can't work if you can't drive.

edit: Gove literally, right now in parliament, just said brexit is going to have serious challenges for the country, so there you go.

Soldato
Long term is that the World population is going to level off and reduce, from about <12 billion is basically the limit, notwithstanding other influences.

Even in the midst of WW2, we couldn't provide for ourselves, so how exactly are you squaring this circle?

No, but going on importing all manner of produce isn't going to be sustainable either. How exactly are you circling that square?

Why is the population going to reduce by the way? Might it be because food and resources cannot sustain the level of growth?

Caporegime
No, but going on importing all manner of produce isn't going to be sustainable either. How exactly are you circling that square?

Why is the population going to reduce by the way? Might it be because food and resources cannot sustain the level of growth?

The population will reduce when people feel it necessary to sustain a standard of living where a child would impinge on that, having a child becomes a choice rather than a necessity. We can sustain many times as many billions on this planet if we really wanted to (food wise i mean), it's simply a case of effort.

The issue is energy and water, both of which solve itself again through sustained effort. But the biggest trend is always negative when you give people increased prosperity and mothers increased freedoms.

Soldato
The population will reduce when people feel it necessary to sustain a standard of living where a child would impinge on that, having a child becomes a choice rather than a necessity. We can sustain many times as many billions on this planet if we really wanted to (food wise i mean), it's simply a case of effort.

The issue is energy and water, both of which solve itself again through sustained effort. But the biggest trend is always negative when you give people increased prosperity and mothers increased freedoms.
Agreed. I believe we're at a level of prosperity that cannot be sustained. At least if we wanted more equal living standards across the globe anyway.

Soldato
Since you're in America, do you know how contaminated the water is in England?
im english i used to drink the water. In a SHTF scenario the water is good enough to drink. Its not like its africa and you'll get some water bourne disease from drinking water supplied by the regional water company.

Soldato
Tap water in the UK is better than the bottled stuff in most places :p

In my region there is barely even any chlorine etc in it anymore.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom