Anyone Tried a Cat5e Modem Cable

Associate
I am using a 'Cat5e' custom made modem cable a replacement for the flat rj11 that comes free with modems and routors and plugs into the BT socket, It took about 6 weeks and my connection speed went up some what, saying that we have had some power cuts here and now the connection speed has dropped off by 8 meg but with luck that will go up to what it was before in a month or so!

The standard cable that comes with routers is a copper plated steel cable in most cases.

Soldato
More likely copper clad aluminium than copper clad steel, but the point stands.

A more important factor is if the cable uses a twisted pair or not.

Even then it only really makes a noticeable difference on longer cables.

My modem cable is Cat5e, but only because I had the parts and tools available and was basically free. I wouldn't pay any significant money for a 'custom' cable unless it needed to be of significant length.

Soldato
btw the flat cables are copper plated steel not Al

A fact that's presumably based on your personal inspection of every flat modem cable ever made?

Unless you've chopped up your custom cable to inspect the conductors there's no guarantee that even that is solid copper. It could be equally well be CCA and you'd never know from looking at the cable sheath.

Why is solid core better necessarily better than stranded for this task (rather than just cheaper)?

Anyway... replacing the usual short flat modem cables with something better (twisted) is likely to show some improvement. If you're in a situation where you need a longer than normal modem cable it's definitely worthwhile.

The nature of xDSL connections makes any direct comparison very difficult.

Don
ADSLNation 0.5M RJ11 to RJ11 cable. A couple of pounds.

These are what I use.

Once you leave the BT socket, you want it to be as short as possible to the modem. Modem to router distance can be done via ethernet.

Soldato
My modem cable is Cat5e, but only because I had the parts and tools available and was basically free. I wouldn't pay any significant money for a 'custom' cable unless it needed to be of significant length.

Same. I made a Cat5e cable for my router too. But I too had the parts already so I thought what the heck? Made no difference. :)

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
If any of you guys work around IT equipment, Cisco bundle a decent shielded RJ11 cable with anything which requires one. Most IT depts will have plenty kicking around which I am sure they would happily let go.

Back
Top Bottom