Anyone use a food processor on a regular basis?

Soldato
As title really... I'm having some dental surgery soon and will be limited to soft foods for a good few weeks.

I'm thinking of buying one but never really used one before.. Is there any interesting stuff I can do with one?

Might see if I can snag one on prime week but dunno if it will be one of those things that only gets used a few times and then cast into the back of a cupboard!

I've read that having a pulse mode is a good feature to have.. But other than decent capacity I don't really know what to look for..

Last edited:
What about them Huel drinks? Never tried them myself mind.

That or MET-Rx?

Are you getting the turkey teeth btw? :D

Last edited:
I do use one, a magimix, mainly to make large batches of hummus and the smaller bowl for pesto. Great for nut butters too. We make loads of hummus as my family love it and it's so easy to make with dried chickpeas. So it's in and out of the drawer a few times a week.

The motor is heavy but guaranteed for 30 years I think. Not replaced the bowls or anything yet, although my one gripe is the main bowl has air holes which allow water ingress and mould is definitely in there. I think I bought this about 6 years ago and definitely love it. Bought one for mum as well so I can make hummus when I'm home!

Last edited:
use weekly for pastry and bread-crumbs - bought an attachment for existing kenwood chef , cheaper elsewhere, so doesn't need additional worktop space
Not sure how blades would hold up to nut butters and would probably be better to have a magimix with multiple&smaller container sizes for that - look like there are prime deals

A few years ago, whilst my son had a broken jaw, I used to regularly use a blender for soups, stews, milk shakes etc..
Also a Nutribullet does a similar job

Last edited:
A few years ago, whilst my son had a broken jaw, I used to regularly use a blender for soups, stews, milk shakes etc..
Also a Nutribullet does a similar job

Thanks.. I could see it being usefull for soup, but then I have a hand held blender and a slow cooker already, so I'm thinking a food processor might be surplus to requirement... even just cooking/stewing veg and meat on the stove top, low and slow gets really soft/tender...

Depends what you want really.

If you want it for your surgery, a nurti bullet is probably fine. In my head, not that I have experience, vitamix are the big option.

But, if you want to get one to might use after/as a kitchen tool, I might consider something like a blender attachment on a kitchen aid or Kenwood chef. Have the latter and the things it can do with the right attachments are insane.

Thanks.. I could see it being usefull for soup, but then I have a hand held blender and a slow cooker already, so I'm thinking a food processor might be surplus to requirement... even just cooking/stewing veg and meat on the stove top, low and slow gets really soft/tender...

If your dental surgery is anything like I had you'll only be able to eat mashed potato and gravy for several weeks. And absolutely NO CRISPS!! That was the hardest thing :(

If your dental surgery is anything like I had you'll only be able to eat mashed potato and gravy for several weeks. And absolutely NO CRISPS!! That was the hardest thing :(

I'm having the rest of my natural teeth removed, and full arch implants, top and bottom, so there will be a period of a few month where I have temporary dentures whilst the implants settle in - I can't eat anything crunchy anyway as I have a lot of gaps already.

Mostly I'm livin off pasta dishes, Mac&cheese, Stews and curries already, but I have to cook them a long time so the meat gets really soft, that's how bad it's got!

Get a Soup maker. No strict recipe needed in my view. I usually just throw in some carrots, celery, a bit of onion, a knorr Veg stock pot, a good blob of real butter and boiling water. Turn it on and wait 20 minutes and it turns out really nice and everyone loves it.
I also pre cook the veg in an air fryer for 7 or 8 minutes, i find it helps soften it all and brings out more flavor.
You can also boil pasta to throw in at the end, I use this one Garofalo Pepe Bucato Italian Soup Pasta

I do use one, a magimix, mainly to make large batches of hummus and the smaller bowl for pesto. Great for nut butters too. We make loads of hummus as my family love it and it's so easy to make with dried chickpeas. So it's in and out of the drawer a few times a week.

The motor is heavy but guaranteed for 30 years I think. Not replaced the bowls or anything yet, although my one gripe is the main bowl has air holes which allow water ingress and mould is definitely in there. I think I bought this about 6 years ago and definitely love it. Bought one for mum as well so I can make hummus when I'm home!

I've been looking at the 4200XL the past few days. What's your hummus recipe?

Use dried chickpeas, so overnight soak.

Bring to boil , then simmer covered for about 80 mins. I don't bother trying to remove skins or add baking soda but you can do that if you want. Once cooked, drain and leave to reduce to room temperature ( I usually spread over a plate or two depending on how many I cook, usually 350-500g dried)

So for a batch I would go as follows:
About 5-600g cooked chickpeas
Mince 4 cloves garlic and add about 2.5tsp kosher salt (halve this for table).
Process for 15-20 seconds.
Stop, scrape down sides. Add 2/3 cup of tahini.
Process another 20 seconds.
Scrape down sides.
8 Tbsp lemon juice
Good dash of cumin powder (to taste, I just free pour probably about 1-2 Tbsp worth and it's freshly roasted cumin seeds that have been ground)
About 5-6 ice cubes from a standard ice cube tray
About 1/4 tsp of citric acid
About 2-3 Tbsp of cold water from tap
Have 8 Tbsp of olive oil on standby.
Turn on the processer let the ice get mainly blended in ( might take about 30-45 seconds. Then drizzle in the olive oil. Once it's all in have a look at consistency and add more water if you want it thinner.

I've been looking at the 4200XL the past few days. What's your hummus recipe?
I have that one. Completely overkill for me. My main gripe is the stopper bit that goes in the funnel is made up of 3 different parts for different sizes of things but even if you don’t want to use the funnel at all, you have to clean all the parts of it. I’ve tried using clingfilm etc but it catches on the safety latch thing.

A single piece stopper or even a single lid would be good. I haven’t found one yet though.

Last edited:
Use dried chickpeas, so overnight soak.

Bring to boil , then simmer covered for about 80 mins. I don't bother trying to remove skins or add baking soda but you can do that if you want. Once cooked, drain and leave to reduce to room temperature ( I usually spread over a plate or two depending on how many I cook, usually 350-500g dried)

So for a batch I would go as follows:
About 5-600g cooked chickpeas
Mince 4 cloves garlic and add about 2.5tsp kosher salt (halve this for table).
Process for 15-20 seconds.
Stop, scrape down sides. Add 2/3 cup of tahini.
Process another 20 seconds.
Scrape down sides.
8 Tbsp lemon juice
Good dash of cumin powder (to taste, I just free pour probably about 1-2 Tbsp worth and it's freshly roasted cumin seeds that have been ground)
About 5-6 ice cubes from a standard ice cube tray
About 1/4 tsp of citric acid
About 2-3 Tbsp of cold water from tap
Have 8 Tbsp of olive oil on standby.
Turn on the processer let the ice get mainly blended in ( might take about 30-45 seconds. Then drizzle in the olive oil. Once it's all in have a look at consistency and add more water if you want it thinner.

I do similar but I use cooked (usually pre bought if I'm honest) garlic as I find raw garlic a little harsh.

Also I just use regular vegetable oil not olive oil, and I put a lot of oil in it, mainly because of how much olive oil costs these days.

Back
Top Bottom