Anyone use an Airflow or Waterpik?

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
I take good care of my teeth, electric toothbrush and floss every night. Problem is regardless, I always get a build up of plaque on my bottom teeth. This is due to their being salivary glands under our tongues.

This means that I need to go for a basic scale and polish at my dentist every few months, and the prices keep going up and up. £35 now and some places charge £50+! Finding a NHS one means waiting weeks for an appointment.

Anyway, firstly will either of these products help to get rid of current plaque on teeth? (NOT tartar)

Secondly which one is better? And thirdly is it a worthwhile investment so that I can save myself money long term by not spending £35 for 15 mins at the dentist every time?

Thanks.

Soldato
I have a device called 2nice,works well and is rechargeable
Dad has a waterpik with a tank and mains powered,good device,lots of settings and various attachments.Problem is as it is mains powered you have to either run an extension lead to out bathroom or use it by the kitchen sink,not ideal either way
So inmho get a cheaper rechargeable one
or get Denplan.I have this and our Dentist does a checkup and clean/scale/polish 4 times a year and any treatments are free :)

Caporegime
I don't understand what the issue is here, you are supposed to go to the dentist every 6 months. :confused:

Just get denplan? Which includes regular scale and polish with checkups without having to pay upfront.

Soldato
I don't understand what the issue is here, you are supposed to go to the dentist every 6 months. :confused:

Just get denplan? Which includes regular scale and polish with checkups without having to pay upfront.
Sounds like he's having 4 or 5 trips to the hygienist per year on top of 6 monthly checkups, which probably shouldn't be necessary

Soldato
What is the typical denplan cost now ? (ok that depends on their evaluation of your teeth)

Airflow/Waterpik/2nice they are all just alternatives to floss - so I don't see why they will address plaque.
The dentist airflow devices blowing bicarb particles are £1k+, so any of these devices ~£100 don't achive the same job.

I keep meaning to buy some plaque disclosure tablets, but also brushing with more abrasive material bicarb of soda does help.

They had a ridiculous, imhop, article on the gagdet show this week about electric toothbrushes with apps to ensure you brushed all areas regularly - lol - £100-£300 were they ?

Associate
I have a Waterpik and find it quite effective for flossing, but I don't think it is any good at removing plaque. It should also be noted that while it is not battery operated, it uses a two prong plug so if you have a shaver socket in your bathroom you can use that.

I have Denplan, although my dentist could only offer me the basic package. This is £15 per month and covers you for 2 checks up and hygiene appointments a year.

What I don't understand is why you need to remove the plaque so often? I know that if it isn't removed it will form tartar that only a dentist can remove, but that is why you are supposed to have 6 monthly hygiene appointment? The way the dentist described it to me was that it takes quite some time for tartar to damage teeth, so as long as you get it cleaned at least once every 6 month, you will be ok.

Back
Top Bottom