Anyone Use Catch Cans?

Soldato
OP
Yeah it's more around the PCV and the crankcase ventilation. So, on my SRT8, it comes straight from the crank and into the inlet manifold i.e. the inlet manifold is "sucking" any vapours back into the engine for burn off (probably something to do with American emissions maybe?) so basically oil vapor is allowed to re-enter the engine through the air intake, thus fowling over time. So in the picture below, it's simply a pipe coming from the crankcase into that top right inlet on the air manifold.

So, I was contemplating using a catch can to "intercept" any of this oil vapour and just wondered if other cars have similar problem?

So basically this is one on the engine of the same car I own. So basically the tubing coming from the crank case goes into the far inlet, through a chamber inside, get caught in the materials in there and then "clean" air comes out of the outlet pipe being vacumed by the inlet manifold thus just now allowing as much crap to go back into where it shouldn't be imho. Oil in an air inlet manifold?

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I've looked into them on a few cars ive had but never did in the end, i think they're generally a good idea if like you say they're a proper 2 port version connected back to the inlet manifold so they suck properly.

Soldato
This is the standard practice to reduce emissions. Unless it is known to cause an issue on that particular engine it isn't something I'd bother with... and if it is a problem, an occasional cleaning of the throttle body may be a simpler solution.

Associate
I had one installed on my Impreza as there was a potential issue when on track of losing excessive oil on high speed turns - it was a sealed system and recycled oil back into the sump. However it meant that oil needed to be changed more often.

Also have one on my Caterham, connected to the breather pipes from the engine. Again track focused, designed to stop oil getting on to the track. A hard day on the track probably means around 300-400ml caught - doesn't really catch anything when on the road. You can see pics of what the caterham one looks like here (http://www.caterhamr500.co.uk/2016/12/academy-car-build-day-nineteen.html). This isn't my car or website, but the layout is exactly the same.

Associate
I have one on my R34, the RB26 has a lot of oily air moving around it due to high reving, higher than normal boost and it also has oil squirters to keep the pistons cool in the engine, its an engine designed for racing at the end of the day.

The oily vapours condense in the can, I get about 50% oil and 50% water in mine. As im only running 1.5bar, about 502 bhp its very gradual over time, It gets about half full over the course of a year, which is about 1500 miles for me.

its in the bottom left, the cap on the left side of it is because its half catch can and half washer bottle, the third pipe coming out is a vent.

engine-nov15.JPG

Soldato
I use one on my ZD30 Nissan Patrol. Not for any bling purpose, but to reduce blowby into the intercooler and as part of a set of mods to assist with stopping the engine grenading itself.
It catches about 100ml each month which goes back into the oil supply.

Soldato
This is the standard practice to reduce emissions. Unless it is known to cause an issue on that particular engine it isn't something I'd bother with... and if it is a problem, an occasional cleaning of the throttle body may be a simpler solution.

Cleaning the TB should be part of a service tbh. Once they get dirty enough the valve starts scoring the bore with the crap built up along the edge. Electronic TBs are not cheap if you have to replace one :\

Soldato
OP
I have one on my R34, the RB26 has a lot of oily air moving around it due to high reving, higher than normal boost and it also has oil squirters to keep the pistons cool in the engine, its an engine designed for racing at the end of the day.

The oily vapours condense in the can, I get about 50% oil and 50% water in mine. As im only running 1.5bar, about 502 bhp its very gradual over time, It gets about half full over the course of a year, which is about 1500 miles for me.

its in the bottom left, the cap on the left side of it is because its half catch can and half washer bottle, the third pipe coming out is a vent.

engine-nov15.JPG

BLOODY GORGEOUS!!!!

Soldato

engine-nov15.JPG

That is rather pretty.

Soldato
The Saab 9-5 has one as standard from the factory, it's fitted to down at the base of the engine at the rear and drains directly back into the sump. Main reason is to reduce the amount of oil vapour that is fed back into the inlet and then burnt to the detriment of the emissions.

Man of Honour
Howdy, and suppose this all comes down to the car in question but anyone use a catch on and how much oil do they "catch"?

Yes. (Roger Clark Motorsport.)

No idea, as it gets returned.

sti_catchcan.jpg

Whether I need it is open to question as I don't race this thing, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Back
Top Bottom