Anyone use Synology C2 cloud service?

ajf

ajf

Soldato
I've got a small 2Tb Synology NAS, which I currently backup to Amazon cloud services using their Glacier service.
Since found though that Synology offer their own cloud backup for their NAS devices and just want some feedback as to whether it is any good?
Speed and reliability etc?
Maybe they even use Amazon behind the interface?

Caporegime
It's good, mainly because it's obviously designed to work with the NAS and you can get support for the two things together, but also because it's predictable. Public cloud has data transfer fees associated with data moved out of the cloud and back to you, so you could potentially end up with an unexpected bill to actually get your backed up files back. The same sort of thing applies with Glacier and their early deletion fees.

For me the biggest advantage is that you can browse the backups on the C2 service from your Synology login and download a file straight from the portal.

ajf

ajf

Soldato
OP
Thank you!
Very helpful and really the point of me asking.
Glacier is cheap monthly with high recovery fees, and although this is only my backup if my other backups fail, it would be good to have a cheaper and easier option.
Think I might give it a go.

Caporegime
Consider how you get access to a single file back if your NAS dies - with Glacier you need to download the entire vault and then use the Synology Hyper Backup Explorer to look at the files. If you don't have 2TB of local disk then you're a bit screwed.

Back
Top Bottom