Anyone used liquid metal on their daily driver MBP ?

Soldato
Hey all, of course, youtube has many guides on this, but I really need better performance from my 2016 MBP until I can save the money for the refresh and fixed MBP 2020.

I was wondering if anyone here risked it ? - I know of all the risks involved, running liquid metal etc - but in reality, I really think thats next to impossible - having used liquid metal on my desktop pc's for years that stand vertically. Obviously I'd only use a microscopic amount and id use high temp insulation tape around the socket so if any running did occur it wouldn't short anything.

SO anyone done it? Working well day to day ?

Soldato
I know you said you would take precautions etc. But even with them in place, surely moving the MBP around would still cause a massive risk?

I'd love to know what you're talking about. Liquid metal?

Is a thermal compound which is more liquid like (lol sorry). Can give a really good heat conductivity but cant be used on certain metals like Aluminium.

Soldato
OP
I'd love to know what you're talking about. Liquid metal?

As dirtybeatfreak said - basically thermal compound that stays in a liquid like state - well not like water its more like....gelatinous, kind of like tomato ketchup consistency - but magnetic and sticks to everything and is literally impossible to clean off properly - but worlds best themal paste !!

I know you said you would take precautions etc. But even with them in place, surely moving the MBP around would still cause a massive risk?

Yeah, but how, if your using a 100'th of a mm of it on a cpu die and thats sandwhiched in with the heatsink - reaslistically how would that ever spread or 'pour' around - also it sticks to metal like glue, its impossible to get off, even carrying around a laptop, how's it all of a sudden going to transfer to the mainboard? - with it sandwhiched in - and bound to the cpu/heatsink metal, not really sure how realistic this fear of it moving is.

Soldato
If it's 'metal', is it conductive?

Yep, and exceptionally corrosive to aluminium - guess what the macbook is made of ;)

For me it's really really really not worth it

You can use counter measures like applying a barrier (a liquid that drys hard) around the processor so no electronics are in contact with it, but if you miss 1 teeny bit...

Commissario
I wouldn’t take the risk with the liquid metal. Apart from anything else, you can say goodbye to any warranty as well.

Replacing the Apple thermal gunk with something more effective would probably help and be undetectable in the case of a warranty claim.

Soldato
I wouldn’t take the risk with the liquid metal. Apart from anything else, you can say goodbye to any warranty as well.

Replacing the Apple thermal gunk with something more effective would probably help and be undetectable in the case of a warranty claim.

It's generally Shin-Etsu that is used on Macs, which is a decent paste imo, but yea, a freshen up couldn't hurt at all.

Man of Honour
If tou can't afford an upgrade until 2020 then can you affford for it to go wrong and break yoyr current MBP (which can happen if applied incorrectly).

Back
Top Bottom