Anyone used the Tamron 50th Aniversary 24-135mm SP?

Soldato
Am torn between this and the 24-104 F4 L - I know the L glass is excellent and has IS, but it's £700 and the Tamron is £320...

From the reviews I have seen the Tamron is better than my 17-85mm (which is too soft from 17-50mm).

My GF would cut be nads off if she caught me buying a £700 lens as well :rolleyes:

Associate
Psilonaught said:
Am torn between this and the 24-104 F4 L - I know the L glass is excellent and has IS, but it's £700 and the Tamron is £320...

From the reviews I have seen the Tamron is better than my 17-85mm (which is too soft from 17-50mm).

My GF would cut be nads off if she caught me buying a £700 lens as well :rolleyes:

I don't know what the difference is with the 50th anniversary edition but I have a non anniverary version and I've been really pleased with it. Only criticisms I would have are that it suffers a bit from lens creep when walking around but it has a lock so it's not really a problem. Focus is also a little noisy and slow compared to USM but it's not something that bothers me.

My london pictures from Saturday were all taken with it. If you want some hi res examples let me know. I cleared out my webspace last night so I can't post any until I get home from work.

The difficulty is how it compares to L glass (never used any so can't tell you) and whether you think it justifies the 2x price difference.

Soldato
OP
ah good stuff! Yes I think it's the same - it's 24-135mm SP with a gold ring round it - that what you have?

A couple of hi res links at 24mm would be really helpful mate!

also, what body do you use?

Last edited:
Associate
Psilonaught said:
ah good stuff! Yes I think it's the same - it's 24-135mm SP with a gold ring round it - that what you have?

A couple of hi res links at 24mm would be really helpful mate!

also, what body do you use?

That's the one. It's this one on the Tamron website.

I use it with the canon 350D. One other thing is that it gets a little bit of barrell distortion at 24mm. It can be easily fixed in PS though.

Associate
I've uploaded the files here . All of them are 24mm. They're not the greatest shots but should give you some idea how the lens perofrms.

3rd one is there to show you what the flare is like. The 5th one has a bit of CA but IMO it's not bad considering.

Let me know if you want to see any others at different focal lengths.

Back
Top Bottom