Anyone using a butchers block countertop as a desk?

Thanks that's helpful. Does it last for a long time or do you have to redo it?
It's lasted me three years and still looks as good as new, despite spillages, minor scrapes (which don't show) etc. It's such a great oil. They say you should think about applying another coat after a few years, but I haven't seen the need yet.

Made my own standing desk using a Linak Df1 (well, a Flomotion "skyflo" which is a rebadged linak), and a solid walnut 40mm worktop, 160x80cm deep but to size by Worktop Express. I finished the edges with a router, sanded smooth, and applied 3 coats of rustins oil

Hjt7Z82.jpeg

8t1Xg9k.jpeg

83zup0J.jpeg

uMKBqB7.jpeg

Will eventually replace my mismatched monitors with a 34" ultrawide but they do for now.

Need to find a rug to replace the ikea desk mat, that is smooth enough for chair. Carpet is way too thick.

This was from worktop express, had a few samples from others and preferred this!

Last edited:
I wouldn't use a butchers block as a desk unless you really dig the look as the surface its inherently porous and the benefits of a butchers block aren't really required for a desk.

Osmo Top oil isn't a pure oil like butchers block oil but a hard-wax oil that sets hard without any stickiness whatsoever and provides a good durable coating. I use it on my pine kitchen table and it would work well on a desk as well.

15+ years ago I made a desk out of a bog standard Ikea birch kitchen worktop. It's 73+cm deep which was important to me as I had to cut it to fit into an alcove. 3 coats of matt varnish and it's been fine ever since but then most of the wear happens where the keyboard and mouse are and I have a 1m wide mouse mat here, so wear and "spillage" is a non-issue.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom