Anyone work in Cyber Security?

Associate
hmm getting into cyber security would be quite tough personally if you don't have any computer related experience let alone commercial experience in IT. I've been working as a Systems Engineer for a cyber security firm for the past 6 years and depending on what position you want to be in.. Incident Response, Pen Testers, Red Teams etc, most if not all employees i have come across are academically sound.

Though i have noticed that if you come from an IT background, it is far easier to step into Cyber as long as you have networking basics etc. I am in the middle of working out a hybrid position for myself to transfer over to Cyber within my firm, and have been advised to take the SANs course as a base. Other courses can help - Ethical Hacker, CREST etc, but won't guarantee you a position. Don't bother looking into CISSP, as the requirement for that is minimum 5 years on the job before taking the exam, so that's pointless.

I guess the easiest start would be a graduate program. Typical pay starting out is in the 30s but that could be different between companies.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom