Anything better than the Soundblaster ZxR?

Soldato
So im going to buy this Creative labs Soundblaster ZxR and to replace my motherboards on board sound wich I dont find up to scratch and im tired of windows 10 losing it due to dodgy drivers? and yes I do realise that creatives can be dodgy too. Well this card dont come cheap at £149 but I am big on audio and i also play guitar so its a good addition to my pc. But is there anything better I should be considering before i purchase. Thank you.

Permabanned
I have never liked mines IMO is sounds flat, I was tempted by the X3 but ideally i want a internal soundcard not a DAC with soundcard features tacked on which seem to be Creative way these days (headphones are not my primary use and I can live without them).

The card recently got a driver to fix recent Windows 10 issues (i never had issue) but before that the driver/software support was years old.

I assume you are looking at it due to the daughter card that would let you connect your guitar to it etc?

Last edited:
Permabanned
Yes and actual real 5.1 and 7.1 sound as well as virtual if you mean the X3.

If you want to know a bit more about the ZxR look at the massive thread on Head-Fi.org forum, you will see it needs the CAP's changed to get good sound.

Soldato
OP
Im not looking for pristine sound. Im not an audiophile to be honest. Just decent. So it should be ok for me. But i have in the past modded an xonar card so wouldn't be afraid to do so.

Permabanned
My honest opinion I was very disappointed with the card at new launch, I swapped back and forth between it and SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion to see what was wrong.

Now I am not saying my older card was the best as IMO the sound quality has went downhill since the SoundBlaster Live 5.1 days as its more artificial and you can get used to this type of sound and to hear pure sound again take a bit of getting used to.

I am not a audiophile and I believe most who claim to be are not and full of BS (like on site I mentioned) and probably do not have 100% hearing esp if older but I do like good sound and do have a good ear.

Soldato
OP
Lol thanks man. My hearing is not great from years of playing loud guitar and my tastes in music which is also loud. Are you sure you had the decent speakers to fully take advantage of the card?

Permabanned
I've tried many speakers from 2.0 to 7.1 in past and the older cards were better with better software /apps.

Now I have Logitech Z906's due to I game, watch movies also.

If I want to hear good sound I will power up my 29years old Kenwood HI-FI and pop in a CD. ;)

Permabanned
Amazon Prime Music Ultra HD on my PC with the ZxR in Stereo Direct Mode through in ear Hi-Res headphones and same on my Mobile phone sounds great at 24/96k - 24/192k to be fair.

Back
Top Bottom