AOC U2868PQU 4K unusable flickering

Associate
Seems more likely its the r9 290 causing problems If it doesn't run properly on both monitors.I presume you un-installed your old drivers and used driver fusion to check for any leftovers.

Associate
Hi all.

Ive been having the same problem with the AOC and a 295x2.

Ive managed to get it working at 50hz without flickering using Custom Resolution Utility.

I have also tried 55hz, but that much the same as 60hz

My plan is to return the monitor and buy the ASUS

Man of Honour
Guys I know I don't have this monitor but im having the same black screen and flickering issues.

I bought an R9 290 Vapor-X and when I installed it I started to get random black screens which needed a hard restart to get display working again. I thought the issue was my monitor (Samsung syncmaster 1920x1080 60Hz) not working well with AMD drivers. So I decided to buy the Benq XL2411Z 144Hz monitor. When I got that and paired it with the R9 290 I was getting the flickering.

Video of flickering - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jypkW8zSGU

I thought the problem was the Benq 144Hz monitor but when I dropped my GTX470 back in the Benq monitor has been fine. So the R9 290 makes my old monitor do black screens and it makes the Benq monitor have the flickering.

Im confused and need to clarify which is faulty. Benq or Radeon?

any ideas?

Might need a higher quality (and shorter) cable - I had problems driving a 120Hz panel off my laptop which just doesn't seem to have enough "drive" to get a stable 120Hz signal with the stock cable on my BenQ - had to buy a bit more of an expensive 1.8m DP cable with all the "gold" plated connectors and extra shielding/oxygen free blah blah stuff.

Hi all.

Ive been having the same problem with the AOC and a 295x2.

Ive managed to get it working at 50hz without flickering using Custom Resolution Utility.

I have also tried 55hz, but that much the same as 60hz

My plan is to return the monitor and buy the ASUS

Not sure the Asus is any better - atleast the one I have seen so far has exactly the same issues with a 290 as described though that is a sample size of 1.

Associate
Robert Hallock ‏@Thracks 24m

@Jfridh @Samshaw71 @Silent_Scone @fa5710 @streaky81 @TheMattB81 Great to hear! BTW, we discovered the flickering is from a monitor FW issue.

I have suggested to OC that I would accept them sending the monitor back to AOC to get the firmware fixed. There may be some hope for the AOC 4K yet!

Last edited:
Soldato
Well I thought AMD had sorted out their driver problems years ago maybe not then.
If it's not fixed before the return date then I will return it, but hopefully by then AMD will have got their act together. I waited to by a 4K monitor for this reason but I suppose I must learn my lesson not to buy AMD if I want good support and drivers.
Anyway is there a way to easily find out when this issue has been addressed?

You need to drop this attitude, firstly AMD didn't have these driver problems some people love to claim they had, and secondly nearly all hardware has niggles, especially newer hardware, it happens with everything at some point, you should try to avoid turning to irrational rants. If you had problems with an nVidia card as well, how would you deal with it? Would you then stop buying both AMD and nVidia? I don't think you would.

Both AMD and nVidia have niggles with UHD monitors, as it's new technology in terms of the connections from the graphics card to the display, as well as the display controllers. It helps no one to get all ranty and turn things into something they're not.

Soldato
There are plenty of reports of popping and black screens on NVIDIA, now, too.

It seems to be both a panel and CVT timing problem (not necessarily signal loss).

Tbh, I won't be bothering with 4K until the next generation of graphics cards (even if a brilliant 120/144hz 4K panel comes out in the mean time). Panels will hopefully be more reliable by then, and video cards / drivers will be working properly.

Post from Silent Scone on Overclock.net

I've been helping AMDs driver team with this one and it is definitely an issue with the timings. Least on the AOC. Need to speak with them again in the morning (I'm from UK)

It seems that the timing being used by this monitor violates the CVT spec from VESA. Both vertical and horizontal porches are out of spec.

We think that we can make an EDID patch (INF file) as a quick, short term solution.

It would appear that AOC (and possibly others) have released a product that does not meet basic compatibility requirements.

What's funny about this is I've had arguments about appropriation of blame when it comes to problems with a certain big nVidia lover in the graphics card section, and their logic at the time was that because AMD can issue a fix, it MUST have been their fault for the problem existing in the first place. It was mental, it wasn't even important who was at fault, just that it can be fixed.

Soldato
* Would like to borrow those rose tinted spectacles *

*AMD* take note, AMD. You know, Advanced Micro Devices. Despite that, I've been using ATi, AMD and nVidia graphics for quite some time, more AMD and ATi and I had no issues that weren't down to something I'd done, a custom BIOS, a bad overclock.

AMD and nVidia have had their fair share of driver problems over the years, you're well aware of this, but some people act like AMD graphics cards literally couldn't run because their drivers were so bad. It's nonsense and you know full well it is.

Associate
Hello everyone,

The fix for the 60Hz flickering exhibited by the AOC U2868PQU panel is available now. It's included in the new Catalyst 14.7 RC Driver for Windows OS (which was released yesterday). Click here to download the driver/fix.

And thank you very much for your patience. Means a lot to us :)

Back
Top Bottom