AOL, New house!

Associate
Hi,
My Nan has just moved house, she has AOL Platinum Broadband.
When i tried to transfer the AOL service to her new house it said that there was already ADSL service on the line.
I set up her computer and plugged in the voyager 105 modem, AOL were right, there was ADSL, it syncs at 2meg (DSL light is on solid) but then when i go to connect to the internet/AOL it just wont connect.
On the modem settings it does come up with 'connected' and tells you the speeds but when i try to do the 'AOL test 1' and 'AOL test 2' they fail with the notice of 'Phone line is busy' but the DSL Modem is connected to the 2meg DSL.
Does anyone know how to fix this? Do i need to ring BT and cancel the ADSL service that is currently at the house and then transfer AOL broadband to the new house?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Associate
Another BT cockup. The way to cease an adsl connection and escape an unwanted ISP is to get someone else sign up to the line rental
- one then starts from scratch
I suppose you have signed up with BT for the line !?
Complain

Associate
OP
She is now on BT for her phone calls and now has a new phone number, it is still the same line.
I phoned BT and they said that i need a MAC code from the previous owner's ISP... :confused:

Associate
I had the same problem when moving my Zen home 2000 ADSL, not that its there fault, the line in the property i moved into already had an ADSL service on it, Found out that it was AOL lol. Basicly i got in touch with them and nagged and nagged them to cancel the service, finaly they did, you need to do that with the existing ISP on that line if possible, trust me it works.

Hope this helps :)

Caporegime
AMDX23800+ said:
I phoned BT and they said that i need a MAC code from the previous owner's ISP... :confused:

Either AOL or BT should be able to get the service ceased if you tell them it isn't yours.
Though if the line's been renumbered and got a new name attached to it, the cease should go through automatically.

Not a BT cockup, it's the folks that moved out should've asked for a cease before they left...

Last edited:
Associate
What's really wrong with AOL Broadband service ?

A genuine question :)

Its just ive been with them for 6 years, never get disconnects, never get slow speeds, always have lowest pings when on online games. So id love to know what other aspects of AOL are poor (apart from their online live help which is full of humans that dont talk english).

Thanks, Ry.

Associate
Sounds like it's in the hands of BT Wholesale. When we moved house our number was transferred on the date we moved it but the previous occupants Teaso service wasn't terminated for another 20 days. Once it was removed my Zen connection was up and running within 2 hours.

Back
Top Bottom